Mower News new to this forum

hairyapple

Threads
I've posted on the site before just not here. I have 3 Gravely 7s, these were all one owner machines before I got them. I had 4 but sold one to a friend who was moving back to California where he grew up on an almond ranch but never saw a Gravely till he met me. One is electric start, two have dual wheels and are convertibles the other one has gear reduction wheels. Accessories include snowblower, 30" mower with 4 styles of blade and a mulch attachment, rotary tiller, sickle bar, snow plow, sulky, 18" horizontal saw (this is NOS, only used once) and a pulley that plugs in the front and is obviously a power take off-never used that. I have a 3rd set of duallys, a stack of shop manuals, old repair tickets, purchase invoices, lots of vintage brochures and two boxes of nos spares including Gravely spin on and canister filters. All the machines and their attachments were always kept indoors. I paid $375 for 3 of the machines and $200 for the 4th. Sold my friend his "coffin top" ( I think the hood looks like a vitage coffin, maybe that's where the name Grave-ly comes from?) for $175 with a snow plow. So I'm into this collection for $400, so far. Machines needed very little attention except for oil and filters, a carb rebuild or two and new bearings and knife bar in the sickle bar. I use the 30" mower more than anything else. The snow blower is just heavy and even with the gear reduction wheels moves to fast to be effective on heavy or wet snow.

I'd like to change the worm gear in the machine with the gear reduction wheels, from 8 to a 6 or even a 4. I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me how this would change the speed of the machine though, for instance if the 8 worm will allow the tractor to travel 50 feet in one minute the 6 would reduce that to ___ per minute or the 4 would reduce that to ____ per minute etc. 50 feet is just a random number to illustrate my question, it has no basis in reality. The gear reduction wheel only slow it down to about the speed of the convertble in low range-way to fast for the blower to work effectively.

Once I have determined which worm to get I guess I'll need some direction on how the swap is made. I know it's located deep in the machine and is not that easy to get to. Any leads on where I might find that information?