1987 Snapper Restore

triadtitleist

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK,, Here go,s, I,m going to start another one. This is a 1987 Snapper 21 in. #21351. I want to get it so it starts and runs good first. The only problem I have so far is when it first starts up the choke opens up 2 to 3 seconds after it starts up and stalls out. So I have to hold the choke closed for a few seconds then it opens up and runs super good with good power. I,ll post pics as I go but I,d like to get the choke problem fixed first.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 63

bt3

Threads
Great project!

I think my Snapper (commercial with Wisconsin Robin engine) is from 87. Perhaps 86. I bought it new back then but never actually recorded the date. What a Sherman Tank of a mower!

Keep us posted re: your progress.

Thanks!

triadtitleist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great project!

I think my Snapper (commercial with Wisconsin Robin engine) is from 87. Perhaps 86. I bought it new back then but never actually recorded the date. What a Sherman Tank of a mower!

Keep us posted re: your progress.

Thanks!

You Bet Sherman Tank , One of the heaviest mowers ever. That Wisconsin is a good one. You have a nice piece just to have around and play with. That Lawn Boys nice too.

triadtitleist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well,,,, I think I,m going to need a carb kit. I really hate to take that carb apart. I,ve tried some carb cleaner and did,nt help.

bt3

Threads
Well,,,, I think I,m going to need a carb kit. I really hate to take that carb apart. I,ve tried some carb cleaner and did,nt help.

If the engine is running at all, I've had great results with adding Seafoam to the gas. It's also good as a stabilizer. My Lawnboy was giving me an issue a few years ago and you can't get at the jets easily even with carb disassembly. Seafoam did the trick, but many don't believe in it and to each their own. It worked for me.

Still, it's probably good to do a carb kit. I just did one on my Snapper after almost 30 years of service. I was surprised I actually found a kit for the Wisconsin Robin engine since Subaru bought them years ago.

Good luck! Thanks for keeping us posted.

triadtitleist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, decided to go ahead wit a rebuild. IT WAS A MESS. And I discovered someone else had it apart before and left a spring out. So I dug up another spring and a new diaphragm. Got it back together and so far runs super. Here,s a before and after pic.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 35
  • snapper carb.jpg
    snapper carb.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 39

triadtitleist

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now that I,ve got it running really great, I put a new throttle control on and painted the handle bars. Now the deck and wheels. I,ve found some red paint that looks pretty close to that era. I,m having some trouble finding the right size wheels. It takes a big 9/16 hole.

Attachments

• snapper3.jpg
    snapper3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 26

bt3

Threads
I love your dedication.

With guys like you around, those old Snappers will also be around.

Nice work so far. Can't wait to see the final product.