Older Lawn Chief Rear Engine - Sloppy Steering

dmk

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Lawn Chief Rear Engine. Most of the time, the steering is great. At times, the wheel will spin freely, not transferring to the axle. I have tried looking @ gears and workings, and looks ok to my untrained eye. Is this issue mainly due to the weight all being on the rear? Would installing some weight on the front end help?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have an older Lawn Chief Rear Engine. Most of the time, the steering is great. At times, the wheel will spin freely, not transferring to the axle. I have tried looking @ gears and workings, and looks ok to my untrained eye. Is this issue mainly due to the weight all being on the rear? Would installing some weight on the front end help?

Are you referring to the driven wheel spinning and not transferring to the axle???
Or the steering wheel turning and not moving the steering gear??

Loading the rear, will increase the traction and make steering easier...
Increasing the front weight generally reduces drive wheel traction and makes steering harder.

The steering shaft on many of the RER have worn bushings that allow the steering shaft to move away from the steering gear... check the bushings ... :smile:KennyV

dmk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guess it wasn't clear. Sometimes I'll turn the steering wheel, and the front wheels do nothing. Thanks, I'll check the bushings.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Guess it wasn't clear. Sometimes I'll turn the steering wheel, and the front wheels do nothing. Thanks, I'll check the bushings.

If the wheel is turning the shaft, the next thing down is at the bottom of that shaft.
It is a small gear that turns the steering sector... check the bushings that support the lower end of that shaft... If it is not in good contact with the steering sector it will damage the teeth on the gear... :smile:KennyV