Braodleaf weed killer for acreage

fredhargis

Threads
My lawn is a little over 4 acres, and I would like to treat the broadleaf weeds. The cost of Weed B Gone (which is what I always used on my other, much smaller lawns) would be pretty steep for this much coverage. Are there any knock-offs that are chemically alike and (I hope) much less expensive? I'll be applying this with a trailer sprayer.

ihc_444

Threads
Check Tractor Supply or farmer's co-op (if you have one) for 2-4-D (concentrate). I get two 2 gallon containers and mix with 500 gallons of water for 25 acres of hay fields. The 2 gallon container was about $44, they may have smaller containers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are there any knock-offs that are chemically alike and (I hope) much less expensive?
Actually the farm chemical is not going to be the knock-off, the lawn product is more of a knock-off of the concentrate... Be careful and follow mixing & application instructions...
ihc_444 is exactly right... 2-4-D id what you want and you want to buy it from your local Ag supplier...

:smile:KennyV

dannycrensh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had equal results with the cheap and pricey chemicals. Consequently I go for the cheaper ones. Do some searching on line, my secretary got me a coupon last year. I will post a link if I find a good one this year. I am needing needing some new nozzles this year. Can anyone tell me if they have any experience with the teejet brand?? I am wanting something that will make it through the whole year before getting worn out. Thanks in advance.

fredhargis

Threads
Well, I searched and looked and found a gallon of 2,4-d for $25 at Do-it-Best online, delivered to the local store free. this gallon will do 4 acres (2 pints per acre), now if it would just stop raining long enough to apply it. Thanks, guys!

noma

Threads
Hi Fredhargis

I agree with every one go to a farm store and tell them you want what the farmers use you can get different size containers 1 and 2 gallon gugs for the amount you have to spray.:cool:

jd335

Threads
the 2-4D is the best for what you described you have just if you have neighbors close by with vegtable gardens be careful when i use the 2-4D i mix a surfactent with it that serves 2 purposes 1 it sticks to the weeds 2 it makes it heavy and the wind won't carry it as bad .

Tinyfxds

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a broad spectrum weedkiller called Triplet. It is amazing. It comes in one gallon sizes and works great. I have to apply it once a year in the spring and I'm good to go for the whole summer.

mullins87

Threads
Id go with round up juat keep it away from trees

Round Up is a nonselective product that kills everything. The OP wants a broadleaf killer that won't harm the grass. I use a product called either Pronto or Big-n-Tuf, but I can't remember which it is right now and I'm too lazy to walk out to the shop to look at it. One of these is a glyphospate concentrate that kills everything while the other is a 2-4D concentrate that only kills broadleafs. I get them both at a local farm supply store in one gallon jugs. The glyphosphate is mixed 1.5 oz/gallon for grass and weeds or 3.0 oz/gallon for small trees and well established undergrowth. The 2-4D is mixed 2 oz/gallon.