Blades husqvarna lawn tractor blades engaging off and on

bondjohnston

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / husqvarna lawn tractor blades engaging off and on
when I pull the switch to turn on my blades nothing happens. then they will turn on suddenly and just as suddenly turn off. any ideas why this is happening?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unplug the switch and clean all the contacts.
Every husqvarna I have has done this crap.
On one if I just hit the switch on the side it will turn on.
I ran a toggle switch after the second pto switch went bad.

Oh and post all them numbers they really do help.

bondjohnston

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the help. Connected clutch wires to Ohm meter got a reading of 3.3 ohms, which implies wiring or switch issue. Does anyone know if there are inline relays or fuses in the wiring harness?

I do notice, with the blade switch on (but again the blades won't engage), the mower wont backup without dying unless I move the key to the position that allows it to backup with the blades engaged. Does that mean the switch is ok?

The mower is the Husqvarna YTH24k48 model, 24 horse Kohler Courage engine.

Thanks for any help!

ninemil

Forum Newbie
Threads
when I pull the switch to turn on my blades nothing happens. then they will turn on suddenly and just as suddenly turn off. any ideas why this is happening?[/QUOTE

Could be the charging system is not putting out enough voltage/current to keep the clutch engaged. You should make an accurate measurement of nearly 15 Volts DC at the battery terminals if the charging system is working correctly. Make this measurement with the engine running at full throttle with the clutch disengaged. If this VDC measurement is 12 volts or less then the charging system is probably not working. Possible sources of trouble: bad connection in the charging system wiring (from the battery to the rectifier/voltage regulator), or a defective rectifier/voltage regulator (or possibly a bad stator). Of course the clutch could be defective as well. Good luck! Ninemil