Capabilities of Toro Zero Turns???

jmrubicon

Threads
Hello, first off I am new here. I am a homeowner with approximately 11 acres that I need to mow. Currently I mow about 3 acres of the 11 with a Husqvarna 54" lawn tractor. The remainder of the acreage I have been bush hogging a couple times a year. Unfortunately the tractor that I was using, I no longer have access to. So I need to come up with a solution to keep it mowed. At first I looked at used tractors and all I could find in the 5-6k range was 30yr old machines. Also I do not have a place to store a tractor and my knowledge of a diesel engine is pretty limited. So I have started to look at the possibility of mowing it all with a zero turn. The land flat to gently rolling but is probably pretty bumpy since it hasn't been mowed with a mower in 4 years. Ideally I would like to mow the 3 acres I presently mow as well as half of the remaining acres weekly, rotating the halves so in a two week period I would mow the entire property. I am looking at the Toro MX6000 with a 60" deck. I would like to get feed back on if this is a heavy duty enough mower to handle this load and also how much time I would be looking at weekly to mow the 3 acres plus half of the remaining 8. Sorry for being so long winded but wanted to give as much info as I could to get accurate feed back thanks.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
this will make Ric mad because he's a toro fan boy, but before you buy one sit it next to another heavy duty ztr and you do the comparison. the dealer I buy from sells Dixie choppers, Scag and toro. he just told me he's dropping toro because they're nothing but trouble. they might be better in certain parts of the country and different terrains. I can only speak for Dixie choppers or scags since that's all I've owned.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
this will make Ric mad because he's a toro fan boy, but before you buy one sit it next to another heavy duty ztr and you do the comparison. the dealer I buy from sells Dixie choppers, Scag and toro. he just told me he's dropping toro because they're nothing but trouble. they might be better in certain parts of the country and different terrains. I can only speak for Dixie choppers or scags since that's all I've owned.

Toro and exmark are the big ones up here. Toros are awesome machines. I blame operator for trouble not the machine

dannyray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, first off I am new here. I am a homeowner with approximately 11 acres that I need to mow. Currently I mow about 3 acres of the 11 with a Husqvarna 54" lawn tractor. The remainder of the acreage I have been bush hogging a couple times a year. Unfortunately the tractor that I was using, I no longer have access to. So I need to come up with a solution to keep it mowed. At first I looked at used tractors and all I could find in the 5-6k range was 30yr old machines. Also I do not have a place to store a tractor and my knowledge of a diesel engine is pretty limited. So I have started to look at the possibility of mowing it all with a zero turn. The land flat to gently rolling but is probably pretty bumpy since it hasn't been mowed with a mower in 4 years. Ideally I would like to mow the 3 acres I presently mow as well as half of the remaining acres weekly, rotating the halves so in a two week period I would mow the entire property. I am looking at the Toro MX6000 with a 60" deck. I would like to get feed back on if this is a heavy duty enough mower to handle this load and also how much time I would be looking at weekly to mow the 3 acres plus half of the remaining 8. Sorry for being so long winded but wanted to give as much info as I could to get accurate feed back thanks.

I would look at the Kubota 's they got out now. I use to cut 10 acres of the church with one no problems at all usually done 4 hrs

Nwatson99

Threads
What part of Ky you from?

jmrubicon

Threads
I am mainly asking about the Toro's because I have a dealer close to home that I would like to purchase the unit from. I can get the MX6000 for around $5600 or the 2000 series Zmaster for $7800. Obviously I would love to save the money but if I can't get the 7 or so acres mowed weekly in under 3 hrs then I am going to have to come up with a different solution. Does any one have any experience with these particular machines?

I am in Harrodsburg KY.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I think in different parts of the country there are manufacturers that push mowers more than others. Toro and Exmark are the big two that everyone uses here followed by Hustler then Dixie chopper. As exotion said Toros are awesome machines and the Exmark is owned and made by Toro so it's only reasonable they would be in the top two. The Scag and John Deere fall way short in the commercial market here. The one thing IMO I'll say is if your looking to mow 11 acres you'd better forget that MX 6000 because you don't want a residential mower to mow 11 acres. If you want the Toro I'd start looking at the Commercial Z-Master series with the FX or FS engine because that FR isn't made for what your looking at.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For once Ric and I agree, the 6000 will not be the best unit for your property, I would also look at the Z-Master series.

jmrubicon

Threads
Ric, thanks for the reply. I really hate to step up into the commercial units due to cost but if the MX 6000 will not do the job it would be wasted money I guess. Would you recommend the 2000 series Zmaster or is that unit not suited for me either?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, thanks for the reply. I really hate to step up into the commercial units due to cost but if the MX 6000 will not do the job it would be wasted money I guess. Would you recommend the 2000 series Z Master or is that unit not suited for me either?

If you want to get the Z-Master do it while the $500 off the price it's Valid on purchases made through September 14, 2014 @ 0% for 48 months. The Z-Master 2000 would do what you want and it comes in a 48", 52" and a 60". The nice thing about the ZM is you get the FX engine which is the top of the line Kawasaki, you also get an 8 gallon tank which if your doing 11 acres would be nice. It's also has sealed bearing on wheels and spindles so there's little or no maintenance and with the 4yr 500 warranty it's hard to beat IMO.
You mentioned that you could get the MX6000 for around $5600 or the 2000 series Zmaster for $7800, which ZM or size are you talking about? They should be able to do better than that on the price especially with the 500$ off from Toro.