Home made heavy weed/brush cutter

Pumper54

Threads
Thank you very much for the picture as that gives me a very clear idea of how the slasher is made. Now to learn how to weld and find the parts. LOL
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need for welding.
If you use 1" x 1" angle or bigger then all you need to do is drill a hole then file it square and bolt it together with coach bolts.
Heck you could even use old blade mounting bolts just file out the holes to fit the ends so the bolt is captive & can not turn

Polaraco

Threads
Hey all, before anyone says it Yes I know it is dangerous but I am the only one around when it gets used and I know I am not getting in front of it while it is running. Got the mower for $20s and found out that it ran. :smile: Then I cut the front up a bit so that the blade could meet the heavy weeds and brush first before the deck pushed them over. So far I have used it to trim down a bunch of over grown weeds and heavy grass on my farm. The area I used it is too rough and step for the rider to get into so I built this. Added the extra paint as additional warning incase someone else was near by but I keep a sharp eye out when I am using it. It has cut down 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter saplings and thick stalked bull nettles. Needs a bit more work on the carb but I am happy with it.
View attachment 23142 View attachment 23143

Tom

That is so cool! You just solved a problem for me. :thumbsup:

Pumper54

Threads
That is so cool! You just solved a problem for me. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Glad it helped you, was using it yesterday at the farm to clear out some over grown areas. Will cut Chinese Tallow trees up to about 2 inches if I go slow.Will try to post more pictures.
Tom

Brushmower6.jpgBrushmower1.jpgBrushmower2.jpgBrushmower4.jpg

Last edited:

Pumper54

Threads
No need for welding.
If you use 1" x 1" angle or bigger then all you need to do is drill a hole then file it square and bolt it together with coach bolts.
Heck you could even use old blade mounting bolts just file out the holes to fit the ends so the bolt is captive & can not turn

I found an old steel bed frame on the side of the road and recovered the angle iron from it. I was thinking along the same lines: drill holes and bolt it together as it looks like most of the slasher was bolted together.
Tom

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bed frame angle will be perfect.
A man after my own heart.
Save the planet as well as your pocket, reuse old materials

MajorMerjil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fwiw had something similar to this I customized a craftsman field trimmer with a b&s 6.0 when it was given to me the mounts for the trimmer line had been worn off (many many hours) so I removed the trimmer head, purchased a mower blade I found suitable, marked and drilled 2 mounting holes and mounted it with 2 grade 8 bolts and some loctite.the front is left open to tackle up to 2.5 in. Sapplings.As you said it is dangerous but if you're the only one around it doesn't really matter :)

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fwiw had something similar to this I customized a craftsman field trimmer with a b&s 6.0 when it was given to me the mounts for the trimmer line had been worn off (many many hours) so I removed the trimmer head, purchased a mower blade I found suitable, marked and drilled 2 mounting holes and mounted it with 2 grade 8 bolts and some loctite.the front is left open to tackle up to 2.5 in. Sapplings.As you said it is dangerous but if you're the only one around it doesn't really matter :)

As long as you wear proper safety stuff I recommend chaps and a face mask at a min

Pumper54

Threads
Up date on my "brush mower" used it much of the fall and in the past month have done a bit of clearing around the farm. Mostly tall weeds and a few saplings. I hung a piece of heavy carpet from the handle bar as a debris shield and it is working but I plan to add additional bracing to it as it flies up at times. I need to replace the blade as the tips are worn down so that I only have a little bit forward of the housing left. Oh well blades are cheap. So far I am very happy with the way it has worked out for me. BTW I wear safety gear when ever I operate it: eyes and ears, long pants and boots.
Tom

MajorMerjil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very cool Tom and yes exotion lots and lots of safety gear it also helps if they run off a belt from the motor to the spindle that holds the blade. That way if you hit something metal, wood, etc. The blade stops,Belt slips and you don't turn a blade into a frag grenade...nice setup tho Tom :)