ENgine sounds half strengh, (blades turn pretty sure) but don't cut

mowmowmow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / ENgine sounds half strengh, (blades turn pretty sure) but don't cut
My mower got stuck on a tree sapling, not the blades- but it somehow got stuck to the front of the engine. I pulled back to free it and all of the sudden my engine sound is half of what it was before. The blades move but don't cut. Can I do something to fix this or would anyone know how much it would cost to repair? I don't have much money and they want quite a bit to look at it alone. There is a little rubber thing on the front, maybe spark plug cap, that may have got tangled in the branch? Thanks

Bolens 21" Push mower
550 series briggs Stratton engine
5.50 Torque

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put the spark plug boot back on the spark plug and quit using it as a bush hog. It was made to mow grass.

mowmowmow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually I was not using it on the trees. The spindly sapling happened to blow over into my path right as I was mowing past.
I had fitted the plug as snugl as I could, still same problem.

Widget

Threads
I know nothing about repairing, but wondering if possible, if the spark plug wire got caught on the branch (sapling?) and pulled hard enough, could the wire or possibly the electrode(?) in the spark plug have somehow broken causing a weak spark? or something like that. *shrug*maybe try another sparkplug ?. sorry i cant be of any more help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Having a hard time visualising your problem.
A few photos might be in order.
You may have disloged the intake, engine breather, clogged the exhaust, bent the throttle linkages.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing you are in NY it will be some time before you need your mower. I am still looking at snow on the ground. Seeing you did back in August you most have it fixed by now? So what was it?

leadpipe58

Forum Newbie
Threads
My thoughts on the problem..What could make a push mower run at half speed? Check the throttle linkage.They run on a governor if you can see the carb you will see a lever being pulled by a small spring..Check that the carb is opening all the way.You might find decree in there.with it running mover the lever by hand (use a stick if you don't trust putting you hand in there)..see if it is open all the way.Most manufactures will not run there engines at full speed so as long as it's close..Good luck.