Replacing the cone spindle bearings on my Dixon ZTR-428 transaxle

smalltownguy2

Threads
  • / Replacing the cone spindle bearings on my Dixon ZTR-428 transaxle
Was in the middle of mowing my back yard on Sunday, and suddenly heard a clink-screeeeeeeeeeech, and then the motor died. Tried turning the motor over to restart, and it wouldn't even turn. I couldn't turn the flywheel myself by hand either. Something was stuck. I removed the transaxle drive belt from the engine, and the engine cranked and ran normally. So......something is seized. My money is on one (or both) of the cone spindle bearings.

So I brought the mower into the garage (towed it in, actually) and removed the body cover. I put a big wrench on the top nut of the cone spindle, and worked it back and forth. I heard some metallic crunching, and then it finally let go. It's sort of turning freely now, but it still catches while rotating. Definitely a bearing failure. I need to get the high speed bearings replaced on the cone drive spindle.

I spent a few minutes examining the transaxle assembly, and eventually worked out that removing it was as simple as removing two bolts from the rear, and loosening 2 J-hooks in the front, after removing the drive chains.

Now that I have the transaxle out and on the bench, I'm starting disassembly to get at the cone frame assembly. I referenced the service manual to get the parking brake assembly removed, and I'm just a bit beyond that, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's next.

Has anyone disassembled this transaxle before? The service manual is pretty vague about next steps after the parking brake assembly removal.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
When it come to this brodave is the man. Im sure when he gets some time he will help.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know your trans, but did run accross a guy on youtube stripping down a hydrostatic. Interesting look inside the unit. So this is an output shaft?

smalltownguy2

Threads
No, it's one of the bearings that is constantly spinning when the motor is running.

I did find a pretty good writeup of someone who took apart a similar transaxle on a ZTR-429. I should be able to use this as a guide, hopefully.

Part 1:

1993 Dixon ZTR429 Transaxle Rebuild - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Part 2:

1993 Dixon ZTR429 Transaxle Rebuild Part Two - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Here is the transaxle pictured, from that thread:

DSCN0479_247.JPG

And a closeup picture of the cone drive assembly. The bearing I need to replace is right under that cone.

DSCN0436_224.JPGresize 1.JPG

brodave

Threads
Was in the middle of mowing my back yard on Sunday, and suddenly heard a clink-screeeeeeeeeeech, and then the motor died. Tried turning the motor over to restart, and it wouldn't even turn. I couldn't turn the flywheel myself by hand either. Something was stuck. I removed the transaxle drive belt from the engine, and the engine cranked and ran normally. So......something is seized. My money is on one (or both) of the cone spindle bearings.

So I brought the mower into the garage (towed it in, actually) and removed the body cover. I put a big wrench on the top nut of the cone spindle, and worked it back and forth. I heard some metallic crunching, and then it finally let go. It's sort of turning freely now, but it still catches while rotating. Definitely a bearing failure. I need to get the high speed bearings replaced on the cone drive spindle.

I spent a few minutes examining the transaxle assembly, and eventually worked out that removing it was as simple as removing two bolts from the rear, and loosening 2 J-hooks in the front, after removing the drive chains.

Now that I have the transaxle out and on the bench, I'm starting disassembly to get at the cone frame assembly. I referenced the service manual to get the parking brake assembly removed, and I'm just a bit beyond that, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's next.

Has anyone disassembled this transaxle before? The service manual is pretty vague about next steps after the parking brake assembly removal.

Hello, Brodave here, I have a DVD AND factory notes if you send me your mailing address. You can call me at 409 382 9309 if you like. LORD bless-brodave

smalltownguy2

Threads
Hi Brodave! I've already got the factory adjustments DVD...I believe you sent them to me. It does a great job going over the adjustments, but I don't believe there's a teardown illustrated on it.

smalltownguy2

Threads
Got the disk cup assembly pulled off one side, and then I was able to remove the cone spindle assembly.

Look what I found on the lower bearing....

photo.jpg

Yeah, that's not good. That's supposed to be all one piece :)

smalltownguy2

Threads
Ordered replacement bearings according to the parts diagrams on Dixon's parts site - only afterwards did I realize that the 1987 model used smaller bearings in the transaxle assembly than the rest of the years that the model 428 was manufactured.

Dixon must have realized that the smaller bearings were more prone to failure than they liked, so they upgraded them to a larger size.

Anyway, ordered the right size, and all is well now. Mowing again!