Dixon Dilemma

Gabbyp

Threads
Would you buy a Dixon now that they are being discontinued by Husqvarna? My local dealer said his district sales manager wants him to sell them at dealer cost to get them out of inventory. My dealer has an Ultra 52 with the Kohler engine and ZT3100 trans and a DX160 which is to big for my needs. The quoted price for the Ultra 52 was $4200 with a MSRP of $4900. I would prefer the Ultra 52 SE which has the Kawasaki engine with the ZT3400 trans. I have not asked if he can get this model since its not at his shop. The Ultra series are essentially a Husqvarna M-ZT 52 with a different engine/trans which have gotten excellent reviews here. The Husqvarna best price with the B&S engine is $4750 on line so it sounds like a good deal to get the Dixon and he would honor all the warranty items. Over time I have had a Pontiac and Oldsmobile and when GM cut them and I never had a problem with service or parts. My current mower is a Hustler Sport with has been discontinued for the Raptor series. Don't know if its my luck to buy and then they are discontinued. Any thoughts on Dixon would be appreciated.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Almost every part on the Dixon's are on Husqvarna's. I would buy one.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
For a $700 savings I would buy one.

Heck I might go look at one tomorrow and see what deals they have.

duhryan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gabbyp,

I know exactly how you feel. I have been looking off and on at ZTR's all summer with the hope of an end of the year sell. To tell the truth I had narrowed it down to a Gravely ZT and the Raptor SD. However, as I was passing through by a local dealer just to see if he was aware of any end of the year sales, he informed me of the Dixon Ultra 52. I wanted a 54 inch cut but with a price of $4,087 it was hard to say no. I asked him about the warranty - I even called Husqvarna directly about the warranty. Both informed me the warranty will be honored.

Long story short I purchased the mower yesterday and 50 minutes later was finished cutting the yard. That includes a learning curve for I never driven a ZTR mower before. Not too bad considering it took around 1.30 hrs to cut on a 46 in lawn tractor. For the price and the ZT3100 trans vs the 2800 from other brands it was really hard not to take a look at them. Although it's a Kohler but my dealer assured me that he hasn't had any issues with the 25 hp Twin.

To be honest the Dixon was not even on my list of mowers just because I've heard such negative about them. It's funny if really think about it. Dixon Ultra really don't get any love but it has the same platform as the Husqvarna M-ZT. Besides the blue is different and looks really nice.

JSmet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ived been running Dixons for 17 years now. I like the older models. I have (2) model 5022 one with a Kohler 23 Pro. One has a 50" the other is a 60" deck. Also, Ived been running a 2001 8026 D with a 72" deck. Ived been able to keep all running for 14/17 years. So Dixon is ok by me. My 5022 with the 50" deck , 23 hp pro kolher is a work horse. Its my trim / small yard mower rated at 4 acres a hour and the "ditch King".

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
It wouldn't matter to me that they are no longer making them. You should still be able to get parts if needed. Just may be painted in husqvarna colors. If you can get a deal like that on a mower of that quality you should jump on it.

liftfilms

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gabbyp,

I know exactly how you feel. I have been looking off and on at ZTR's all summer with the hope of an end of the year sell. To tell the truth I had narrowed it down to a Gravely ZT and the Raptor SD. However, as I was passing through by a local dealer just to see if he was aware of any end of the year sales, he informed me of the Dixon Ultra 52. I wanted a 54 inch cut but with a price of $4,087 it was hard to say no. I asked him about the warranty - I even called Husqvarna directly about the warranty. Both informed me the warranty will be honored.

Long story short I purchased the mower yesterday and 50 minutes later was finished cutting the yard. That includes a learning curve for I never driven a ZTR mower before. Not too bad considering it took around 1.30 hrs to cut on a 46 in lawn tractor. For the price and the ZT3100 trans vs the 2800 from other brands it was really hard not to take a look at them. Although it's a Kohler but my dealer assured me that he hasn't had any issues with the 25 hp Twin.

To be honest the Dixon was not even on my list of mowers just because I've heard such negative about them. It's funny if really think about it. Dixon Ultra really don't get any love but it has the same platform as the Husqvarna M-ZT. Besides the blue is different and looks really nice.

Duhryan,

I know it hasn't been too long since you bought your dixon but I was just curious if you're still happy with it. I'm in the same boat. Dixon has never been on my mind while looking for a new mower but with the discounted prices, its hard not to give them a look. I found a ultra 52 and an ultra 52 se. The SE is right much more but I might pay it to get the kawasaki.

thanks for any feedback.

MRCo.

Threads
Parts should be fine due to the Husqy crossovers. I'd aim for the Kawi, no question.