New or used Toro Super Recycler

rutgersm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I currently own a 20 year old Toro Super Recycler. I'm looking to replace it soon. I love the Super Recylers, but I'm debating between buying a new one for around $500 or buying a used one. There is one posted on Craigslist for about $175 that is about 9 years old and it looks liked it has been well maintained. Should I go with the used one? Are the newer models as good as 5 -10 year old used one? Any advice is much appreciated!

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I currently own a 20 year old Toro Super Recycler. I'm looking to replace it soon. I love the Super Recylers, but I'm debating between buying a new one for around $500 or buying a used one. There is one posted on Craigslist for about $175 that is about 9 years old and it looks liked it has been well maintained. Should I go with the used one? Are the newer models as good as 5 -10 year old used one? Any advice is much appreciated!

It all depends. Can you send a pic of the new one you want and the one on Craigslist?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It may look good on the outside, but it's what's inside that counts. I believe that the newer units are better than they were 10 years ago. That's going to get me some hate posts, but I have worked at Toro dealers since 1989 and today Toro with the aluminum decks are tough to beat. I actually like the new engines, but I know they have only been out for three years. My recommendation is model 20381 which run about $549.

Nwatson99

Threads
Just a question, but if you got 20 years out of your old one, why would you even consider buying used that you do not know how it was treated??

rutgersm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just a question, but if you got 20 years out of your old one, why would you even consider buying used that you do not know how it was treated??

You make a good point. That is the main reason why I want a new one, but I'm also cheap so it's hard for me to pass up a good deal on craigslist.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
You make a good point. That is the main reason why I want a new one, but I'm also cheap so it's hard for me to pass up a good deal on craigslist.

Well, in my opinion, I would go with the new one. Do you want an older mower that will last a long time, but you never know if something big might break on it, or you can get the new one that will also last a long time, and things won't break with the proper care. It is hard to break a Toro, they are dependable. From here you should make the decision of what YOU want to buy. If you go with the new mower, maybe you can buy the Craigslist Toro and have it as a spare? From here you can decide.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's only a good deal on craigslist for a reason, and its not the one they tell you. Buy new get another 20 years out of it, just need to take care of it

LoCo86

Threads
It's only a good deal on craigslist for a reason, and its not the one they tell you. Buy new get another 20 years out of it, just need to take care of it

Couldn't agree more. Not only that you get a slight warranty with it, so if it's not up to your standards you can take it back.