HELP! PTO wire disconnected, need replacement plastic wire holder thing!

fitzerator

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HELP! PTO wire disconnected, need replacement plastic wire holder thing!
I was mowing today with my John Deere STX38 and all of a sudden the blades stopped spinning. I found a wire un-attached going to what I think is the PTO clutch. It was crimped it, so with no way to uncrimp it I stripped it and then super glued it in. (Yeah, I know, I just wanted to see if it would work.) It worked for a moment and then the blades stopped spinning again. The mower knows when the PTO is engaged because it shuts off when I get off the seat when the switch it up but doesn't when it's down. So I think if I get this little plastic part, I can strip the wires and make a good connection. Anyone know where I can order this part online or what it's called?

2014-08-24 14.47.06.jpg

2014-08-24 14.45.57 HDR.jpg

2014-08-24 14.46.07.jpg

2014-08-24 14.46.29.jpg

Attachments

• pWpvE60.jpg
    pWpvE60.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 15

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
To replace that small plastic part you will have to buy the complete wiring harness. You might find something close in a auto parts store that might work. If it was me I would squeeze the wire fitting with a pliers so they fit real tight onto the terminals and you can also solder them in place..

Nwatson99

Threads
Clip off both wires right behind the Electrical Connector Housing, then take it to the local JD dealer and show them what you have, if they do not have it in stock they can order the Elec. Connector Housing and new lugs for it to arrive the next day to them.
Then strip back your wires, crimp the wires in both places on the lugs really good, then slide the lugs into the Elec. Connector Housing until they snap which means they are locked in, plug back into your PTO and continue mowing.

If you do not live close to a JD dealer give these guys a call and tell them what you have in hand and what you need, I bet they will have it.
Green Farm Parts: John Deere Parts Online Discount Store

Oh and they will ask for the Make, Model, Serial number, and what color your mowing deck is, they made two of these models with a yellow or black mowing deck.

fitzerator

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I still haven't been able to fix it. I went to Home Depot and got some spade connectors (I think that's what it's called). They fit very snugly on the blades where the PTO clutch is. I connected the wires, but still no dice. I switched the wires just in case I had them backwards. No luck. While I don't have any way to test this, I'm pretty sure the connection that wasn't being made when that wire was disconnected is now connected.

I highly doubt that the wire that was hanging loose was hanging loose before and everything still worked.
I highly doubt that the wire came loose AND something else broke at the same time (unless there's some fuse or something).

I am at a lost. I think I'll be able to stop by a John Deere dealership next week, but any other suggestions in the mean time?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I still haven't been able to fix it. I went to Home Depot and got some spade connectors (I think that's what it's called). They fit very snugly on the blades where the PTO clutch is. I connected the wires, but still no dice. I switched the wires just in case I had them backwards. No luck. While I don't have any way to test this, I'm pretty sure the connection that wasn't being made when that wire was disconnected is now connected.

I highly doubt that the wire that was hanging loose was hanging loose before and everything still worked.
I highly doubt that the wire came loose AND something else broke at the same time (unless there's some fuse or something).

I am at a lost. I think I'll be able to stop by a John Deere dealership next week, but any other suggestions in the mean time?

https://www.google.com/search?q=wir...12-5-black-deck-stopped-running.html;1029;684

fitzerator

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I see the wiring diagram. I'm afraid I'm not able to interpret it to a level that will allow me to know where to check for problems next.

Currently, when I pull up on the PTO knob, nothing happens in terms of the blades, but if I stand up the mower cuts off when the PTO thinks it's engaged but won't cut off when it thinks it's not engaged. So something somewhere (the seat switch?) is working. Does this mean the PTO switch is working? The fuse in the diagram doesn't seem to be involved with the PTO, but I'm not really sure about that. There is a black wire from the PTO clutch that seems like it's just attached to the engine, so that's the ground and I assume that's fine. I don't have headlights, so that's why I see that yellow wire that doesn't connect to anything.

So any suggestions as to where I should check next? I've tried to figure it out from the wiring diagram, but I'm stuck. Thanks!

fitzerator

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I called a John Deere dealer and his thought was that the PTO clutch itself was going bad. He asked if my battery was good and if I'm getting 12 V down there, it's probably the PTO clutch itself. $150 for the part itself, I have no idea if it's easy to install at all. I hate this mower...

fitzerator

Forum Newbie
Threads
My neighbor helped me test the clutch electrically and remove it. We opened it up and even I could tell it was messed up inside. He took it to a repair shop where he knows a guy and they ordered an OEM one for me for a good price. Hopefully I'll be able to install it this weekend and we'll be back in business. Thanks to everyone who contributed for all the help and advice!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't know what you have, but don't some PTO clutches have a adjustable air gap? If this air gap is not right your PTO wouldn't work right? Just something for you check before you replace it.