Flywheel Damage

Chris

Forum Newbie
Threads
is this crack serious enough to replace the whole flywheel because I sheared a flywheel key today while running the mower

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 13

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
is this crack serious enough to replace the whole flywheel because I sheared a flywheel key today while running the mower
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the key is only for timing alignment and the tapers of the hole and shaft are what actually holds the flywheel from turning on the shaft, yes, replace the flywheel.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can get it good and clean and put a new key in - I'd try some JB Weld and see if you can get it inside and outside the crack (but NOT on the new key) you might coat the new key with grease so the JB Weld won't stick to it.

If you hit anything else or your timing is off -- It will need a new part.

What engine is it and what mower is it on ?

Chris

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is on a Brute Power 22inch 3 in 1 self propelled push mower with a 6.75 hp 190 CC engine power

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK - Now I may be wrong, but I would at least try to use the JB Weld - with the part off I'd see if I could get the JB Weld into the crack and a little on the surface, but not inside the center. If there is enough surface to do it - I'd use a hose clamp to hold it together while curing (hardening). After it had cured I'd make sure none of the Weld material was inside or in the keyway slot and try it - If it holds Great, if not- you'll need a new one and all you lost was the cost of the JB Weld and a couple days.

Unless you hit something or use a pull start cord that engages this part - there isn't usually a great deal of pressure on this part - JB Weld is amazing stuff.

It depends on your finances and how much the new part will cost.

Maybe I'm just remembering when I didn't have ANY extra $ for anything and would try to fix everything if it could be fixed. :biggrin:

Good Luck !

What did you hit to shear the key ? :eek:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Small Engine & Mower Repair Forum. You will have better luck finding assistance there. :wink:

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!