Steering Problem

LakeMurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere Sabre 14.5 H. P. 42" - Just yesterday my steering started clicking when I turned to the left. Then I noticed it wouldn't turn to the left at all. It would turn to the right. Today I cut the rest of my grass and even when steering to the right it was clicking and not wanting to turn. If I lifted up on the wheel it worked a bit but I can't cut grass like this. I believe that the steering section is not fully in the groves.

How can I fix the problem? How do I line up the groves with the steering wheel?

Any help will be appreciated..............

Rick

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most likely the pinion gear on the end of the steering wheel shaft as well as the sector gear is worn and is now jumping. Both will probable need replaced, as well as any bushings.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not knowing your model I still looked it up for one of the many models and those are $155.00 and $165.00. If you get us the model # we can look it up.

LakeMurray

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sir:

Thank you for your response to my question. I believe I am going to buy a new one and sell this one. I appreciate your being so kind by answering my post.

Thanks,

Rick

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once in awhile put some grease on the pinion and sector gear teeth of your new tractor and a few drops of bar and chain oil ( or 3-in one oil if that's all you got ) on the sleeve bearing just above the pinion gear. Those little dry parts will appreciate it and your steering will be easier for longer.