LCT engine loping

RockG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, hope y'all can help me. I have a 3 year old tiller with a LCT engine. At first, it wouldn't crank. I have replaced the plug, air filter, cleaned the carb and blown out the petcock filter. Now, cranks first time every time, but it lopes. I can't seem to take the choke off or it will cut off...but while on full choke, it just revs up, then down, then up, then down. I have enclosed a link to a video that shows what I'm talking about. Any suggestions ???

YouTube - MVI 4846

Rock in SC

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's the govenor doing that. My guess is your mixture is too lean, that's why you need full choke. Hopefully you can adjust the mixture. Hopefully as well, you're using fresh gas. :wink:

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

RockG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for getting back to me. Yep, using new gas. Running lean sounds good to me... but I don't see anyway at all to adjust it. There are no screws at all on the carb that I can see that adjust anything.
Thanks for the input though.... will continue tinkering with it and hopefully get this thing running better.

Rock in SC

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey Rock-

I think something is making it run lean.:biggrin:

There's nothing wrong with the fuel delivery system -- right?

No obstructions or anything like that?

If you unhook the fuel line from the carb it flows freely -- right?

There's no obstruction at the float valve (if it has one) -- right?

This is a new machine so we probably don't have to worry about the timing being way off -- I hope?

Keep posting here and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Thanks for doing the video.

RockG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply Two Stroke. At first, I thought that was the issue. I believe it was at first. I would undo the fuel line and nothing would come out. SO, I did take the petcock off the tank, blow out the intank petcock filter and took the petcock apart. Now, it does get gas through to the carb but I really don't know how fast it should flow. I did lift the float and it cuts off... hanging down, it was getting gas... but again, not sure how much.
I will try and post a video of how much it is coming out of the fuel line into the carb and if you would, let me know if that's enough or there should be more. If it is restricted, then maybe replacing the fuel line, petcock might cure it. I had already looked up to replace the petcock at $18... but let me video it first.
Thanks so much for the help.

Rock

RockG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two Stroke..... just uploaded a video of the fuel flow from the petcock to the carb. Does that look right or is it too low to keep it going ??? I did blow out the intank filter and and look in the petcock for obstructions.... nothing. So, hopefully, we'll figure this thing out. Thanks again !!

YouTube - MVI 4847

Rock

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's plenty of fuel ...
those type fuel shut offs sometimes get plugged up but yours is not... could you have an air leak in the carburetor or at the point it mounts to the engine?? :smile:KennyV

BTW nice use of YouTube... +++++

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe a leaking intake gasket....:confused:

BTW, I agree w/ Kenny......it's better than post after post and we still don't know what you mean......:laughing:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree that the fuel supply going into the carb looks fine. Apparently, it's running lean for another reason.

Has the carb been completely cleaned? I use compressed air -- shooting air through all the passages.

Are you using an air filter? Removing the air filter will make it run a little leaner.

Also, the ignition system may be at fault. Has it been disassembled since last time the engine ran right?

RockG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all the replies. At first, I knew it was getting any gas to the carb... but after blowing out the intank filter on the petcock, it started flowing again. So, now I know it's getting enough gas. Yes, I did take the carb off, twice matter of fact, and used carb cleaner to clean it. Took the needle valve out, the jet, squirted carb cleaner in it.. then used compressed air to blow it dry. Maybe I missed something.. not sure. As you can tell, I am no mechanic my no means, but trying my hand at fixing it first.
There are really no screws or anything to adjust that I see. It's raining here right now so I can't work on it.... but start "messing around" (southern term) with it and maybe clean the carb again. It's a fairly new engine used about 10 times... so everything was pretty much bright and shiny... but we'll see.
Stay with me fellows... will keep you posted. IOU one big time for taking time out for me !!!

Rock