616 hydros weak when cold??

1dmbhonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old 616 I've been working on and the hydros seemed weak when I got it (both the same speed tho ). I replaced the belt and it made it seem good as new but the fluid was really dirty and needed changed so I bought new fluid and filters for like $200!!! and emailed grasshopper themselves for the correct fluid change procedure and followed direction s to the "T" and now the hydros are slow till they warm up then they preform well (climbing hills,spinning tires , exct.) WTF?? I've also tightened the tensioner spring more but still the same.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok see if I can spell it. Wrong viscosity oil. I spelled it right the first time. Higher the first number the thicker it is cold. 5w30 thinner than 10w30. What did you put in? You may or had a single weight oil before change or put in a single weight oil for change.

Nwatson99

Threads
Ok see if I can spell it. Wrong viscosity oil. I spelled it right the first time. Higher the first number the thicker it is cold. 5w30 thinner than 10w30. What did you put in? You may or had a single weight oil before change or put in a single weight oil for change.

That is what I was thinking, but instead of oil I was thinking maybe it is low or high viscosity hydraulic fluid.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be because I can not find who makes the hydros for grasshopper.

1dmbhonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put in grasshopper hydro maxx fluid per grasshopper coustomer service

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Forgot to ask if you bleed the air out? Raise drive tires and run for 5 min to bleed.

1dmbhonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a purge procedure recommend by them where you open the dump valves and slowly rotate the wheel forward/backward.... I also openend dump valves and operated the leavers forward/backward for 5sec several Times after I discovered this problem

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you rechecked the oil level?

1dmbhonkey

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, bottom line cold, middle of the lines hot as suggested by the sticker under the seat

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I now know you have hydro-gear hydros. Wow grasshopper charges a lot for 20w50 motor oil. I too had this problem for a couple of week and the spring of this year. It went away. Hopefully it will go away for you too.