Repairs Repair or Replace Tractor? Hydro Trans Slipping

StuMiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman 917.270621 15.5 hp B&S 42" deck. Bought new 1998. Peerless 205039C hydro transaxle.

I have a Craftsman 15.5 HP 42" lawn tractor with Peerless 205039C Hydro Transaxle which has been slipping up even moderate slopes for the past 4 years. I believe the trans was overheated several times in the past from clippings accumulating on the top of the trans under the seat - don't ask how - and fouling the cooling fins...). Slipping is worst once warmed up. I've lived with this thing a while so I know it's not slipping belts. The trans is a "sealed" unit but I have drained it (removed rubber plugs on top and sucked out oil with syringe and fuel line) and replaced the oil twice (Mobil1 15W50). That seemed to work for a little while but no longer.

Replacement trans is no longer available from Sears (even though they list it as available for ~$450) and other places are selling it for ~$650 online. Can't find it new or used locally (Easton PA area). Although the motor and deck are in great shape, this is a 13 year old tractor and I don't think it's worth $650 for a new trans.

Question: Repair or replace? I figure I can get maybe $150 to $200 for the thing "as is" from someone with a flat lawn or who needs parts. Opinions?

TIA
Stu

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I think I'd replace it since $650 will probably get you half way to a new mower. Minus $200 you could get for the old mower, you're looking at an extra $450 to make the leap to a new one. Not sure if you would want something bigger, new, used, same brand, different, etc, but that's the direction I'd lead. Of course, some might say that if it's not unsafe to use, as long as it still runs, get every last ounce of use out of the thing. :thumbsup:

wildbill

Threads
I just fixed a craftsman rider with the same type problem. Even though the drive belt looked good, it was worn a lot, and only by putting the new one beside it was it obvious. Another thing that can cause slippage is the motor and/or tranny pulley being worn as well. Also, the drive belt tension spring can be
shortened' so it will put more tension on the unit. If you have not already replaced these parts, you might want to..... they are a LOT cheaper than the other options......

Threads
I agree with wildbill change the belt first , then if that does not replace, the repair on the tranny of that age of machine you will still have an old everything else:rolleyes: