1974 Sears SS/16

Warhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Mower people.

I retired about 4 months ago and found I have lots of time on my hands to do just about anything that comes to mind. The reason I joined is due to a project I have decided to take on. I have a 1974 ss/16 with an Onan opposed twin in it that hasn't been cranked since 2000. I've owned it for a little more than 30 years and I am rather partial about it. We (My wife and I) are fixin to move to the country on a five acre lot were I can start another large garden. This is why I want to get my workhorse up and running again. I need a carburator and I am having a problem locating one. Does anyone know if the Onan will accept any other type of carburator other than the one that it has?

I am interested in meeting new people and discussing gardens and tractors so this is my introduction and plea for help.:smile:

I hope to hear from other members soon.

Brian.

gfp55

Threads
Hello Mower people.

I retired about 4 months ago and found I have lots of time on my hands to do just about anything that comes to mind. The reason I joined is due to a project I have decided to take on. I have a 1974 ss/16 with an Onan opposed twin in it that hasn't been cranked since 2000. I've owned it for a little more than 30 years and I am rather partial about it. We (My wife and I) are fixin to move to the country on a five acre lot were I can start another large garden. This is why I want to get my workhorse up and running again. I need a carburator and I am having a problem locating one. Does anyone know if the Onan will accept any other type of carburator other than the one that it has?

I am interested in meeting new people and discussing gardens and tractors so this is my introduction and plea for help.:smile:

I hope to hear from other members soon.

Brian.
Welcome. Maybe you could post the model# serial# of your Onan engine. Have you looked of ebay, sometimes there are Onan parts there for sale. I can't think of the place that I get my Onan parts from, I,ll have to think. Can the carb be rebuilt? I think you can still get part to rebuild it. Again Welcome and good luck.

Warhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the carb can be rebuilt and I have seen some kits on Ebay. However, this carb is missing part of the linkage and I think the bowl has a hole in it. I believe I need to have the engine rebuilt but that may be too costly; if so, a replacement engine is the next plan. I am not a mechanic but I can tinker enough to get most problems solved. One way or the other I will get the tractor running again.

gfp55

Threads
Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the carb can be rebuilt and I have seen some kits on Ebay. However, this carb is missing part of the linkage and I think the bowl has a hole in it. I believe I need to have the engine rebuilt but that may be too costly; if so, a replacement engine is the next plan. I am not a mechanic but I can tinker enough to get most problems solved. One way or the other I will get the tractor running again.
Post the numbers off the engine and the carb. Does the engine turn over?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld! :welcome:

We moved your thread to the Craftsman forum.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You would be better off buying a new whole engine off of one of the small engine warehouses.

Warhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post the numbers off the engine and the carb. Does the engine turn over?

Oops: I would suspect information such an model and serial numbers would be very useful. The model number of the engine is: BFMS2666C while the serial number is: 0674-820441. The only markings I can find on the Carb are: DDYY.

No, the engine will not turn over. It was running, and running well when I parked it (outside behind the garage but under a deck) 14 years ago :ashamed:. No doubt RUST is the culprit. I suspect moisture entered from the carb whereas I did not have the air cleaner assembly mounted and the screws of the carb to the intake manifold were only "finger tight".

I have resigned myself to favoring a replacement engine however, I am curious as to wheather or not this engine can be salvaged.

I am anticipating tilling a full acre of land. Fourteen years ago I would have assigned this task to the ss/16 but after reading many forums I feel it would be to my best interest to consider an older model Case or Ingersoll. I am partial to the older equipment.

As I look for a replacement tractor I intend on restoring the ss/16. I owe it that much. As a matter of fact, if I go that route I believe I will "Trick" it out with chrome and a new paint job. As I mentioned, I am retired so this would be a project of love more than that of necessity.

The bottom line is: I do need a strong garden tractor to replace the ss/16 and I do need advice or helpful information regarding the restoration project.

Brian.

gfp55

Threads
You said the engine is stuck, if you remove the spark plugs and pour automatic transmission fluid till the cylinders are full, let that sit in there for about a week, if you check it in about two or three days and some of the fluid is missing, refill. After a week, drain the crankcase of oil and don't try to use the starter to turn the engine over. Try to turn the engine over by hand. You should have already removed the engine covers (tins) so you can clean things. Don't use the flywheel fins to turn the engine because they break very easy. I use a big strap wrench to wrap the solid part of the flywheel and then try to turn the engine (clockwise) DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE COUNTERCLOCKWISE !!! If it moves a little then let things set for some time so the fluid can soak in, then turn it some more. If the engine will not move, check to see if the fluid is full and let it sit for some more time 2-3 days and repeat. It should move after the soaking, but sometimes takes longer. Keep us posted on the stuck engine. Regards

Warhorse

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. :thumbsup: Your suggestion makes sense to un-seize the engine without moving the pistons and possibly causing damage to the walls. I do, however, have a couple of questions due to the engine is an opposed twin.

While still mounted to the tractor Obviously I can only put the fluid in from the spark plug ports to the point where it will begin to run out. Will this be enough? If not, should I remove the engine completely, rotate the block and treat each cylinder, as you suggested, seperately and then re-install the sparkplugs and then let the engine sit for a week or so?

My other question is: could I introduce the fluid through the intake mainfold with the plugs still installed and fill the cylinders that way?

I do not want to damage the walls and your suggestion does make sense, but I need to know if the cylinders need to be completely full.

Oh, by the by: I checked the oil in the engine and it was fairly clean so I must have changed it prior to parking the tractor. If I need to rotate the block, would it be best to drain the oil first?

gfp55

Threads
Thank you for the reply. :thumbsup: Your suggestion makes sense to un-seize the engine without moving the pistons and possibly causing damage to the walls. I do, however, have a couple of questions due to the engine is an opposed twin.

While still mounted to the tractor Obviously I can only put the fluid in from the spark plug ports to the point where it will begin to run out. Will this be enough? If not, should I remove the engine completely, rotate the block and treat each cylinder, as you suggested, seperately and then re-install the sparkplugs and then let the engine sit for a week or so?

My other question is: could I introduce the fluid through the intake mainfold with the plugs still installed and fill the cylinders that way?

I do not want to damage the walls and your suggestion does make sense, but I need to know if the cylinders need to be completely full.

Oh, by the by: I checked the oil in the engine and it was fairly clean so I must have changed it prior to parking the tractor. If I need to rotate the block, would it be best to drain the oil first?
Yes, It will be enough, just check in a day or two and refill if needed. You will not have to remove the engine and it will make it easier to turn the engine flywheel clockwise. The fluid will leak passed the rings and fill the crankcase and if its over full can hydrolock the engine when you try to turn the engine over by turning the flywheel clockwise and if you force it you can damage parts inside. I see your logic but will be more work that is not needed to get the same result. Time is the thing with this, give the fluid time. Now if you want to remove the engine to work on other parts of the tractor, you could bolt the engine down to a work bench, but when its time to try to start it you will need to run wires, fuel and things. If you need to ask more just post and we will try to get you an answer. I hope I answered your questions, but if not let me know.