1991 GH 721D Trans output shaft?

Rufustoad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I have read through some of your posts and it looks like there are quite a few GH guys here so I am giving it a shot:) I was mowing yesterday and noticed that my right steer quit right steering and I looked down only to see the tire at a 45* angle (not good). I pulled the brake off and removed the assy only to find a broken trans output shaft:thumbdown: and by the looks of the rust trail it has been cracked for sometime. So I have seen a few breakdowns on the net and I think I could replace the shaft or reweld the shaft but was wondering how difficult it was to remove it from the transmission? Does anyone know where I could find just a shaft for this? I will post some photo's later today or tomorrow!

Rufustoad

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks Mark. I am trying to post a few pics and was wondering if the shaft presses off the bearing before removed from the housing? If you see pic 3 the shaft only comes out so far than it stops and I do not want to force it. I thought if I pressed off the bearing then the shaft would slide out the reverse way with no trouble? Does anyone sell this shaft or will I need to repair this one? Sorry for all the questions:).

Attachments

• lawn shaft 1.jpg
    lawn shaft 1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 11
  • lawn shaft 2.jpg
    lawn shaft 2.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9
  • lawn shaft 3.jpg
    lawn shaft 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Absolutely, replace the shaft and bearing. Make sure snap rings are not installed either side of bearing. Safety first, wear safety glasses and press shaft through bearing if you have a press, if not take to machine or auto shop that has a press.

Rufustoad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Absolutely, replace the shaft and bearing. Make sure snap rings are not installed either side of bearing. Safety first, wear safety glasses and press shaft through bearing if you have a press, if not take to machine or auto shop that has a press.

THanks Mark, I sure hate to sound like an idiot but where in the world would I find either the shaft or the bearing??

Rufustoad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I would show what I had to do with my mower. I wound up putting both ends of the shaft on the lathe and boring a 3/8 hole for a pin to align both halves before welding them together. I came across a problem and left the trans open when I removed the shaft and now all the hydro fluid has leaked out:( That was a dumb mistake but I saved myself a grand by welding this shaft back together. Does anyone have good specs for the Hydro fluid other than grasshoppers $30 a quart that is made by someone else?? I am guessing I lost 1gal so if you have a suggestion PLEASE let me know!!

Attachments

• Grasshopper shaft 2.jpg
    Grasshopper shaft 2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Grasshopper shaft.jpg
    Grasshopper shaft.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 7

thehemikid

Threads