Added some LED lights to my Raptor SD

mhavanti

Threads
Cowboy,

That should work fine. You could have also cut a spot in front of your dash on the fender to fit the first switch. Or right behind the dash on fender. My original plan was to do the three little switches on the flat space behind the dash. Simple cut out for a rectangular switch in the event you want to use that first switch for something on your mower such as a power socket. If you install a power socket (cigarette lighter), put it on a pilot light switch such as you've purchased.

Be sure to show us your installations.

By the way, November 10, 2018 at 3:00 PM I'll be on the video premiere on MaxsGarajMahal Youtube channel showing the lights demonstration. Everyone come by, say hello and chat. It would be great getting to hear your comments live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-PWkuouqQ&feature=youtu.be

Have a great weekend everyone.

Max

Mr. Mower

Threads
Ah no big deal, I'm sure I'll find some use for the switch here sooner or later!! Went down to O'Reilly's this afternoon and found this switch.........

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...nduct-tite-20-amp-rocker-switch/84944/4176468

Aint went out and tried it yet, but I checked its dimensions at the store against an old hour meter I had laid up beside it before I bought it and it looks like it will fit almost perfectly!!

Cool! :thumbsup:

The deal with the installation of the LED light kit on mine is that it did not come with a power on/off switch.

The LED kit came with an electrical harness (along with the front metal frame attachment that the LED lights are installed in) that plugs into another existing electrical harness, within the electrical system, that is controlled by the start on/off key switch, so that every time you start the mower the LED lights automatically turn on and then off once the key switch is switched off.

Hence the reason why there is no individual switch for LED lights. I would have liked to have had a separate switch by itself.

I guess I could install a separate switch if needed, kinda like what you're doing.

mhavanti

Threads
I would definitely uncouple from the ignition on situation. You'll need to do something with the ignition key on and won't need or want the lights on draining the battery unnecessarily.

I'd install the switch first chance you get this winter.

Max

Mr. Mower

Threads
I would definitely uncouple from the ignition on situation. You'll need to do something with the ignition key on and won't need or want the lights on draining the battery unnecessarily.

I'd install the switch first chance you get this winter.

Max

Really can't do that right now due to the fact that my mower is still under warranty.

Not only that but then I would have to look at the electrical diagram layout on my particular mower, modify the existing electrical harness that the LED lights have, in order to install an electrical power on/off switch.

Yes it may be a bit of a task and can be done but so far I've not had any issue's with my mowers battery. My mowers battery is always fully charged prior to actually using it before cutting the grass.

Reason is I've installed an external charging system, connected directly to my mower that allows me to check the battery's power capability, from fully charged (blinking GREEN LED light indicator), to needs charging (blinking YELLOW LED light indicator), or dead battery (blinking RED LED light indicator).

So really no problems or worries on my part with the battery there.

I liked it so much that I even installed the same kit on my vehicle to check and charge the battery if necessary! No need to remove the battery, mess with tools, etc. just to charge a battery. Simply plug in the connector to an existing installed port, plug in the charger to the wall outlet and start charging!

https://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-mus-4-3-testcharge/

Attachments

• ctek_mus_4.3_test_and_charge.jpg
    ctek_mus_4.3_test_and_charge.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 14

mhavanti

Threads
Mr.Mower,

Very nice. I have a pair of those. Never seem to hook them up for some reason. I did use one last winter toward the end of the extremely cold weather. Otherwise, I leave it connected to the 110 with being connected to the mower. I'll try to do better in the future. lol

Max

DB725

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If my JD mower deck wasn't so noisy I'd really like to mow after dark in the summer here. But I'd probably get on the $h!t list of those nearby. Day time sun and high humidity is pretty bad even when riding. Kind of amazing what is being done with LEDs these days.

Eliot Ness

Threads
I was mowing a couple of weeks back and it got dark on me also and I was having trouble seeing where I had cut. I went inside and got my Light-N-Carry rechargeable LED light and the extra strong magnet held it securely to the front of my Raptor SD. It was perfect for the job and requires no wiring, although it is not as elegant as the OP's light install it got the job done for me. They come in three sizes: 200, 300, and 500 lumen but mine is the smaller 200 lumen. The magnet on these is much stronger than any other LED light I have except for a larger BRAUN that I have.

I bought my first one at NAPA but after that a few more to have around the car and workshop at Amazon, just search for 'Light-N-Carry LNC1241'.

Attachments

• Light-N-Carry.jpg
    Light-N-Carry.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
<deleted>

Last edited by a moderator: