Do You Throttle All The Way Down Before Turning Off The Engine?

Johnbt

Threads
  • / Do You Throttle All The Way Down Before Turning Off The Engine?
I have a 2015 Toro MX-5050 with a 24 hp Kohler 7000. The manual says to use between half and full throttle. Here's the quote...

"1. Disengage the blades by moving the blade control
switch to Off.
2. Move the throttle lever to between the half and full
throttle position.
3. Turn the ignition key to Off and remove the key."

I also have a like-new 2016 Deere X380 that I bought for my 85-year-old uncle last year; but he can no longer mow so he gave it back. The engine is a 22 hp Kawasaki FS651V. The manual says to lower the throttle to 1/2 for several seconds and then switch it off.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2015 Toro MX-5050 with a 24 hp Kohler 7000. The manual says to use between half and full throttle. Here's the quote...

"1. Disengage the blades by moving the blade control
switch to Off.
2. Move the throttle lever to between the half and full
throttle position.
3. Turn the ignition key to Off and remove the key."

I also have a like-new 2016 Deere X380 that I bought for my 85-year-old uncle last year; but he can no longer mow so he gave it back. The engine is a 22 hp Kawasaki FS651V. The manual says to lower the throttle to 1/2 for several seconds and then switch it off.

That's odd, because here's what Kawasaki has to say about it the FR651V:

Attachments

• IMG_2563.jpg
    IMG_2563.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2564.jpg
    IMG_2564.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's odd, because here's what Kawasaki has to say about it the FR651V:

That's the manual I have, & when I showed my Toro Dealer that Kawasaki states clearly to go to idle before shut down. They couldn't believe that. (narrow minds).

Johnbt

Threads
Beats me. Maybe they build them differently for Deere. Maybe a different fuel shutoff. This is my first Deere and first Kawasaki.
2E537346-A14F-4A38-AF74-7ED74C7C966B.jpgA2F48C94-2C02-41B4-A48D-484D70E8C9B6.jpg

Hmm, and my iphone loaded the pics sideways.

Michiglenn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last night I checked my Kawasaki Z465 cylinder head temperature with my non-contact heat sensor gun to satisfy my curiosity. Immediately after mowing it was 215-220 degrees. I let it idle for about 2 minutes and it was reading about 190-195. The manual gives this as operating advice:
Z465 info.PNG

Johnbt

Threads
Looking at the Kawa manual and my Deere manual,

Kawa says to:

”To warm up the engine, run it for 3 to 5 minutes
with the throttle lever in the same load position
.halfway) before putting the equipment under load"

The Deere manual says to"

"Run engine at half throttle for 30-60 seconds to allow warm-up before operating"
"IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Unnecessary engine idling may cause engine damage." They list overheating, carbon and poor performance.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think Kawasaki has a clue to what's best, they did make the engines after all.

Johnbt

Threads
You would think that. Otoh, John Deere buys the engines and provides the warranty on them and the warranty service. So I've been told. Maybe Deere is changing something on the engines they buy or maybe Deere thinks or knows that the instructions in the Deere manual are saving them tons of warranty dollars. I certainly don't know anything about John Deere, but they seem to be very successful and on the ball about making money.

This thread on Lawnsite has the same info on the warranty that I've been told. Post #41...

www.lawnsite.com/threads/problem-with-2016-kawasaki-fx850v-engine.460750/page-5

"A while back, I had a long casual conversation with a really nice Kawasaki Factory Rep ...he flat out stated that they sell engines to John Deere by the pallet ... and once they do ... ALL warranty work must be approved and performed by the dealer ... no exceptions."

I'll keep mowing with the Toro ztr - great cut, fast and easy too. I put Gator G5's on the X380 and will see if it can earn its keep chopping leaves or at least blowing them into the woods. I really don't have much use for a mower with a steering wheel. It's so 20th century. :laughing:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I'll tell you what my local Toro Dealer states, is that they must get approval from Kawasaki, Kohler or Briggs before then can do any serious warranty issues.
Like they want to see evidence before they will replace a complete engine fore example.

Johnbt

Threads
That's what my Toro/Scag dealer says, too.

What Deere seems to be doing is buying the engines and assuming responsibility for ALL the warranty work. They get a big price break on the purchase price for providing the warranty on the engines because Kawa doesn't have to spend a penny on repairs in the future.

Like I said, this is my first Deere anything, so I'm learning the system.