Do You Throttle All The Way Down Before Turning Off The Engine?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Do You Throttle All The Way Down Before Turning Off The Engine?
Thanks to everyone for your helpful/educational information.

I'm still learning...

Another throttle setting to consider is when you engage or dis-engage the blades(PTO). Most mfr's recommend 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to avoid too much initial strain on the clutch. My Gravely manual states 3/4 and that's what I use. And of course there are some users in the past that have mowed at less than full throttle(thinking they would save gas and still get the yard mowed). I've never seen any mfr's suggest anything other than full throttle when mowing and it's a consensus here on the forums that this can cause damage to the equipment.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never seen any mfr's suggest anything other than full throttle when mowing and it's a consensus here on the forums that this can cause damage to the equipment.

Faster spinning blades = best overall cut quality. Slow-spinning blades will not cut grass smoothly, the blade is more likely to stall/stop, and the clippings won't be blown out from the mower deck onto the lawn or into the grass bag.

Always keep the throttle set to maximum speed when mowing for a clean cut and the best overall finish.

Don't use the throttle to change the mower's driving speed. Shift gears or adjust the speed control levers to slow down/speed up the drive wheels.

Zeroturner

Threads
I'm a little confused.

Are you saying that you should engage the blades at 3/4 throttle?

And, when disengaging - same thing?

Thanks!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm a little confused.

Are you saying that you should engage the blades at 3/4 throttle?

And, when disengaging - same thing?

Thanks!

Yep...1/2 to 3/4 throttle(either would be much better on the clutch than full throttle). Of course after engaging and before beginning to mow increase to full throttle. Check your Owner manual/Engine Manual to see if there is a suggested recommendation for engaging/dis-engaging the PTO.
ALso, another little tidbit....I used to drive my Gravely(not mowing, just to from storage) at the lowest throttle setting. Another user here that I trust recommended NOT doing that because (A)the hydros are designed to drive the ZTR at full throttle and (B)the engine doesn't cool adequately when under load at a setting other than full throttle. I did notice my hydros "whined" a bit when I transported the ZTR at the lowest throttle setting and so I am no longer doing that(an ounce of prevention.........:0)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I engage the pto at 3/4 throttle on every mower but my snapper. And disengage at around 1/3. No real reason that I disengage so low. I just like to.

The snapper is my wet tall thick grass mower. Engine RPMs around 5000.
I engage at full throttle after I disengage to let the clippings fall out of the deck.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I engage the pto at 3/4 throttle on every mower but my snapper. And disengage at around 1/3. No real reason that I disengage so low. I just like to.

The snapper is my wet tall thick grass mower. Engine RPMs around 5000.
I engage at full throttle after I disengage to let the clippings fall out of the deck.

Engine rpms @ 5000?????

Just go out, start the damn thing mow with it then shut it off!!!! It is not the Space Shuttle, or a big diesel engine with a turbo....

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Engine rpms @ 5000????? Just go out, start the damn thing mow with it then shut it off!!!! It is not the Space Shuttle, or a big diesel engine with a turbo....
Yes fish 5000 RPMs It is rated to do 6000 RPMs Bet they did not teach you about the REV KIT when you pretended to go to parts replacer school.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah baby!!!! Does your Snapper friends know all of this????

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oooops, I didn't mean "friends"..... So some engine Co. supports your practice?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oooops, I didn't mean "friends"..... So some engine Co. supports your practice?

The kit is sold so the engine can handle the higher RPMs

Very easy to get high RPMs and 50hp out of a briggs 20hp v twin.

New source of V-Twin performance parts!

Low buck $410
16hp heads $75
Thin head gaskets $40
Precision cam $175
Rev kit $75
K&N air filter $35
Rejet carb $10 for jets

mid buck build maybe 40hp $1500
ARC billet aluminum flywheel for starters. $320 http://www.arcracing.com/cgi-bin/Sof...exe/?E+scstore
Starter to go with flywheel $175
Precision Camshaft cost about $175
Modified carb $175 up from EC Distributing
Air cleaner & adapter $150
Roller rockers $300 - if you have the good aluminum rockers you wont need these.
Port & polish heads $150
ARC rods $220 http://www.arcracing.com/cgi-bin/Sof...exe/?E+scstore
Thinner head gaskets $35

Also a interesting point was to bolt 16hp heads on a 18-20hp motor to pick up some compression

High end build 60hp build! will run at 7000 rpm at the race track!

Cam 1200 Precision
Longer than stock Rods
Using the longer rods you cut the stock pistons 100 thousands creating flat tops and more compression. new rings
Now outside several options. 16hp heads again smaller chamber and more compression
new unported Or ported and all the works, springs and retainers

Billet flywheel
High torque Starter
two steel push rods to replace aluminum
have that carb built to the hilt
K&N Airfilter
Air filter adapter
Roller rockers
K&N filter for crank case breather
Gasket set to include very thin aluminum gaskets (more compression)