Anyone remove top blade for better bagging/mulching?

Robshonda

Threads
I feel that I am not getting as good of a mulch cut with this double blade system.
I wonder if the top blade is causing turbulence flattening out the grass before the bottom blade cuts it.
Anyone removed the top blade? I get too many pieces of grass that popup after just mowing.
This is my first few months with my Honda HRX cutting tall Fescue.

shacky

Threads
Can't say but I get great mulch cut with double blade on my HRX.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I feel that I am not getting as good of a mulch cut with this double blade system.
I wonder if the top blade is causing turbulence flattening out the grass before the bottom blade cuts it.
Anyone removed the top blade? I get too many pieces of grass that popup after just mowing.
This is my first few months with my Honda HRX cutting tall Fescue.

For the finest (smallest) mulch, twin blades must be used. This configuration allows the blade of grass to be cut twice, making it finer/smaller, and when the Clip Director door is full closed to the MULCH setting, the cut grass is re-circulated and cut again and again until it falls down onto the soil.

For best mulching results, you must mow more frequently, when less grass needs to be cut. The payoff is you don't have to bag (and empty bags) and still get a great looking lawn and finish. I too, have Fescue in my (back) yard, and understand the challenge. It is a trade-off, so try it and see what works for you. Cut it sooner and see if you like the look or prefer less frequent mower.

Finally, experiment with the Clip Director settings, use the bag to collect some clippings, and try height adjustments to find the sweet spot for your lawn and preferences.

Robshonda

Threads
Thanks Robert, I have tried all that. Its mulching in taller grass at the 3.0-4.0 inch settings it stuggles.
I mowed it in mulch mode at 3.0 inches and it looked like a helicopter landed on my yard.
The grass was blown down out of reach of the blade. I put it in bagging mode and mowed again at the same height and it looked much better and cut more grass. I recently mowed and had the mower shut off on me a couple times for no reason.
I found a recall about the carb so will have to deal with that too...Overall I am less impressed with this mower.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently mowed and had the mower shut off on me a couple times for no reason.

Stalled in heavy grass?

Wondering if the engine is running at the correct speed. Does your HRX have a throttle control? Be sure it is always set to FAST when mowing. If no throttle, it is possible the engine is still not spinning at the maximum speed, but the only way to know for sure (other than a trained ear :tongue: ) is to put a tachometer on it and measure. Ask your Honda Dealer to double-check the engine speed when/if they do the update on the autochoke.

Go here to find a Servicing Honda Dealer in your ZIP code: Find A Honda Dealer

Robshonda

Threads
Robert, it stalled when it was not even mowing grass at all. Died like you just took your hand off the safety bail.
Mower was fully warmed up, fresh gas, choke open. I was able to let it sit for a while and restart and finish mowing.
When it does it again I will investigate some more.

Robshonda

Threads
Ok, I removed the top blade and just used the bottom blade. Mulching results were much better, no stragglers popping up. Bagging seemed better too. The clippings in the bag were bigger now. I gave it the worst case scenario test this morning at 9am with long dew covered grass. I had forgot to put the deflector lever in bag mode after my mulch test and mowed about 5 rows thinking I was bagging. I realized it and moved the lever to bag but the grass looked like I had bagged it. This was on damp tall fescue about 6 inches tall mowed down to 3 inches. Oh, washing out under the mower deck I had about 1/2 as much stuck on grass as I do with both blades on. This will be great when the spring comes and the grass is much denser. I did not try it shooting out the back of the mower. I never liked that idea at all. These mowers need a proper discharge chute at least as an option. Mower did not die this time out.
Rob

earthworm

Threads
  • / Anyone remove top blade for better bagging/mulching?
Using dual blades consumes more HP . U may be short on HP ...I would check compression, as well as other items. Air filter (inexpensive, necessary)

Robshonda

Threads
  • / Anyone remove top blade for better bagging/mulching?
I am sure compression is just fine, its only 3 months old. Filter is new and clean too.
Its a design situation. Using one blade works best in my yard with my conditions and my time I have to mow (early mornings).
I am sure it works perfectly fine with other grasses, etc.