Bad Boy MZ Mowers

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wondering if you have had much rain - if you can get the lawn soft, maybe a good heavy roller will level the lawn out some without tilling it all up and leveling it before re-seeding.

I'm sorry to hear that this machine is so poor at dealing with humps and low spots.

Mtn.Mike

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet Tank model M72 and in the Spring I use the lug tires. I mow some rather steep hills and have had little or no problem going up or down.
I have no answer to the "scalping" you are experiencing as my Tank is adjustable both on the deck and on the wheels.
I have looked at the Bad Boy zero turn but it didn't have the adjustments necessary to mow my acreage.

Good Luck to you, Mike

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

southerniltractor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'm considering a Bad Boy CT or Outlaw Zero Turn mower for my 3 plus acres of lawn. While most of my property is flat, some if it sloped to a point I will probably use the old JD130 to mow rather than risk running into the pond with the BB. My dealer recommended the larger Outlaw based on some of the issues discussed here; scalping and turning. According to him, the larger Outlaw does better than the MZ in this performance aspect.

I'm just trying to get more feedback on the BB brand before I purchase this summer.

Thanks,
Mike

txzrider

Threads
ok so I am new to the forum... after trying to mow on a slope for 15 years I have a couple of comments. While my old snapper will mow the crap out of wet grass, wet grass and a slope is a no_no. especially trying to mow level across the hill or angling downhill. Always mow slightly uphill in the dry. When I bought my snapper I explained I was still having issues with control on hills and the dealer explained that snapper offered a "offroad" kit for the mower which comprised of 2 ribbed tires like a "v". I have used them so long that I pretty much wore off the ribs. It was not a perfect solution but it has worked well for years. As far as scalping, I have no idea since one of the snappers strenght's was floating over any irregularities, since I have also started looking for a new mower... I am hoping I dont have to give that up.

shroom

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I'd post a 30 month update :).

I did add chains to my MZ, and they do help quite a bit with control on slopes. I solved most of the scalping issue by raising the cut height. While it's still cutting unevenly due to my rough lawn, it's not nearly as noticeable. I'm still scraping the grass from under the deck after almost every mowing, but I bought a MoJack, which greatly eases the job of raising the mower to get access for scraping. Mechanically, the MZ has not missed a beat. Always starts easily, still as powerful as the day I brought it home. No issues with belts or bearings.

So I have adapted to using it. But if I had it to do over again, I would have looked elsewhere, and I will look elsewhere when it's time to replace it.

Rob

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought I'd post a 30 month update :).

I did add chains to my MZ, and they do help quite a bit with control on slopes. I solved most of the scalping issue by raising the cut height. While it's still cutting unevenly due to my rough lawn, it's not nearly as noticeable. I'm still scraping the grass from under the deck after almost every mowing, but I bought a MoJack, which greatly eases the job of raising the mower to get access for scraping. Mechanically, the MZ has not missed a beat. Always starts easily, still as powerful as the day I brought it home. No issues with belts or bearings.

So I have adapted to using it. But if I had it to do over again, I would have looked elsewhere, and I will look elsewhere when it's time to replace it.

Rob

I hate it that you didn't come here almost 3 years ago before investing in the Bad Boy MZ:0(
I too looked at Bad Boy ZTRs in the fall of 2012 when I was shopping and along with some warnings I got on these forums I looked at but definitely did not consider the ZT or MZ models that TSC carried since (1)they are the entry level residential Bad Boy ZTRs and (2)TSC is not a "dealer" which you now understand the importance of, since you basically ended up doing your own repairs even during the warranty period. I did consider the 54" Outlaw(at the local Bad Boy dealer) which is a 1,230 lb(5gauge deck) beast, but as you stated....heavy duty, engine power, blade tip speed, etc. doesn't necessarily make it a professional performance ZTR. I read many user reviews of the Bad Boys and owners either loved them or hated them. That kind of mixed reviews for a $7,000 ZTR made me second guess purchasing one. Also, there is a link on these forums to a National Dealer Survey and the Bad Boys aren't rated very good by the dealer sampling in that survey. Another bad sign(if the dealers have negative reviews...do I want to buy one?). I'm glad you seemed to have worked though most of your problems and found workarounds, but hopefully some prospective ZTR buyers will read your first-hand experience with the BBMZ and look for other options.
P.S.
When you get to the point where you feel like you have come close to getting a return on your investment and are ready to replace that BBMZ....I definitely recommend that you look at the Gravely line if you have a dealer nearby. I love mine and you will be hard pressed to find any "mixed reviews" by any of their owners.

PVHIII

Threads
I hate it that you didn't come here almost 3 years ago before investing in the Bad Boy MZ:0(
I too looked at Bad Boy ZTRs in the fall of 2012 when I was shopping and along with some warnings I got on these forums I looked at but definitely did not consider the ZT or MZ models that TSC carried since (1)they are the entry level residential Bad Boy ZTRs and (2)TSC is not a "dealer" which you now understand the importance of, since you basically ended up doing your own repairs even during the warranty period. I did consider the 54" Outlaw(at the local Bad Boy dealer) which is a 1,230 lb(5gauge deck) beast, but as you stated....heavy duty, engine power, blade tip speed, etc. doesn't necessarily make it a professional performance ZTR. I read many user reviews of the Bad Boys and owners either loved them or hated them. That kind of mixed reviews for a $7,000 ZTR made me second guess purchasing one. Also, there is a link on these forums to a National Dealer Survey and the Bad Boys aren't rated very good by the dealer sampling in that survey. Another bad sign(if the dealers have negative reviews...do I want to buy one?). I'm glad you seemed to have worked though most of your problems and found workarounds, but hopefully some prospective ZTR buyers will read your first-hand experience with the BBMZ and look for other options.
P.S.
When you get to the point where you feel like you have come close to getting a return on your investment and are ready to replace that BBMZ....I definitely recommend that you look at the Gravely line if you have a dealer nearby. I love mine and you will be hard pressed to find any "mixed reviews" by any of their owners.

I had BB at the top of my list when I was deciding on what ZT I was gonna purchase simply because they're made right up the road (bout an HR away...and I wanted to buy an Arkansas made product...but after researching the Bad Boy mowers I decided against it...I purchased a Hustler and I'm glad I did...They're an excellent company and build one Hell of a mower

shroom

Forum Newbie
Threads
42 month update.

I am now at the end of the mowing season for 2014 (4 seasons), and the right-hand transaxle of my MZ is failing rapidly. I first noticed it a mowing or two ago. It's gotten worse rapidly, and it now struggles hard to turn left. It is not a serviceable item. The cost is ~$516 plus shipping, plus a couple hours of work. I called BadBoy and talked to three different people. They say because it's out of warranty there isn't much they can do. I was finally forwarded to "the boss" to see if I could get any sort of reduced price, but got voicemail. I will be surprised if he calls me back.

I'm not sure whether to bite the bullet and replace the transaxle, and hope the left-hand one has several more years in it, replace them both, or to throw in the towel and buy another mower.

Once I worked through the initial quirks, the mower has served me adequately (barely). I am still manually scraping the crud from under the deck after every mowing, and the mower still "blows chunks" if the grass is anything except bone dry. I have lived with it. But to have to put $600 - $1200 in parts in a 3.5 year old $3500 mower is not something I expected to have to do.

I will never buy another Bad Boy Mower.

I'm open for suggestions as to what to possibly replace it with. As I mentioned earlier, I mow about 1 1/2 acres, with some slope, and several obstacles to mow around. My lawn is not a fairway. It would be nice if I did not have to scrape the deck after every mowing. I do not want to spend $8 to $10k for a dang lawnmower.

Thanks.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
42 month update.

I am now at the end of the mowing season for 2014 (4 seasons), and the right-hand transaxle of my MZ is failing rapidly. I first noticed it a mowing or two ago. It's gotten worse rapidly, and it now struggles hard to turn left. It is not a serviceable item. The cost is ~$516 plus shipping, plus a couple hours of work. I called BadBoy and talked to three different people. They say because it's out of warranty there isn't much they can do. I was finally forwarded to "the boss" to see if I could get any sort of reduced price, but got voicemail. I will be surprised if he calls me back.

I'm not sure whether to bite the bullet and replace the transaxle, and hope the left-hand one has several more years in it, replace them both, or to throw in the towel and buy another mower.

Once I worked through the initial quirks, the mower has served me adequately (barely). I am still manually scraping the crud from under the deck after every mowing, and the mower still "blows chunks" if the grass is anything except bone dry. I have lived with it. But to have to put $600 - $1200 in parts in a 3.5 year old $3500 mower is not something I expected to have to do.

I will never buy another Bad Boy Mower.

I'm open for suggestions as to what to possibly replace it with. As I mentioned earlier, I mow about 1 1/2 acres, with some slope, and several obstacles to mow around. My lawn is not a fairway. It would be nice if I did not have to scrape the deck after every mowing. I do not want to spend $8 to $10k for a dang lawnmower.

Thanks.

The hustler raptor sd is a good mower and would suit your needs well. Don't know what your budget is, so it's difficult to recommend mowers.