Dealing with Rust under deck solutions

Vanousb

Threads
I have been tuning and cleaning up a Honda HRT216TDA self propelled mower I found a yard sale. It has been neglected, but recovering nicely. Engine (with air filter, oil and carb change) and top side is in really good shape. Have figured out the propel issue and fixed and I have sharpened the blades. My question is regarding the underside of the shell (deck). There is age and some rust. Any product used in a case like this to spray or coat on the underneath to put a halt or slow the aging other than coat it with a rustolium type paint that tends to "cover it up" for a short time that some shops use here on older mowers or is that a norm action to take on an older shell/deck.

Rather new to this mower recovery thing I have started getting into. Handy and mechanically capable, just now sure of all the possibilities.

Av8r

Threads
I have been tuning and cleaning up a Honda HRT216TDA self propelled mower I found a yard sale. It has been neglected, but recovering nicely. Engine (with air filter, oil and carb change) and top side is in really good shape. Have figured out the propel issue and fixed and I have sharpened the blades. My question is regarding the underside of the shell (deck). There is age and some rust. Any product used in a case like this to spray or coat on the underneath to put a halt or slow the aging other than coat it with a rustolium type paint that tends to "cover it up" for a short time that some shops use here on older mowers or is that a norm action to take on an older shell/deck.

Rather new to this mower recovery thing I have started getting into. Handy and mechanically capable, just now sure of all the possibilities.

I am not the expert here, but I have used high quality two part epoxy paints and have found they far outlast a spray can of rustoleum. If you go through the effort to do that, make sure you keep the deck Clean and dry

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
A small wire brush on a power drill will clean the rust off (unless its all the way through) then I would clean the whole under side of deck. Put a good coat of self etching primer, a couple coats of any color high gloss spray paint. Followed by a spray clear cote. Then for shits and giggles I would probably do a couple coats of wax lol

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They sell a rust converter. Wire brush to remove lose rust them spray or brush on converter. Prime then paint with spray can. Keep deck clean.