No grease fittings ?

Big-Al

Threads
Hello everyone I'm new and my name is AL. Just bought a Hustler Raptor sd 54 inch. Recommended by 2 coworkers to mow my 3 1/2 acres and occasionally my mom's 1 1/2 acres. Put it away in the garage and started looking it over and the manual. Noticed there's no visible zerk fittings. This concerns me because my 2 craftsmen mowers have zerks. Feel like a fool for not looking over it really well before buying it. It's so solid built I over looked this. How do some of you feel about this particular mower not having fittings ?

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
hello AL...I raised this same issue and most members feel the no zerk spindles stand up well and you simply replace them when needed.I'm old school and like to tend to my lubrication periodically,however I have been reassured the current spindles will hold up for many years under normal circumstances.I still miss giving them grease!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello everyone I'm new and my name is AL. Just bought a Hustler Raptor sd 54 inch. Recommended by 2 coworkers to mow my 3 1/2 acres and occasionally my mom's 1 1/2 acres. Put it away in the garage and started looking it over and the manual. Noticed there's no visible zerk fittings. This concerns me because my 2 craftsmen mowers have zerks. Feel like a fool for not looking over it really well before buying it. It's so solid built I over looked this. How do some of you feel about this particular mower not having fittings ?

I have been in the repair business for many years and now retired. When I started it seem all the bearings had grease fittings. Now if everyone keep them clean and well greased, but not over greased, things were good to go. A bearing can be over greased as well under greased. As I was seeing it that wasn't the fact. Then they started to use sealed and greased bearing for life . When they started to use the sealed bearings, the bearing failure went way down. So as I see it you are a lot better without the fittings. Just something about a grease fitting that give people a good feeling to put a grease gun on that fitting and see the grease squeezing out all over the place and making a big mess.

Big-Al

Threads
After your answers and me putting thought into it. Both my car and truck has sealed bearings. 202,000 on my car and 90,000 on my truck. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the replys. AL

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have been in the repair business for many years and now retired. When I started it seem all the bearings had grease fittings. Now if everyone keep them clean and well greased, but not over greased, things were good to go. A bearing can be over greased as well under greased. As I was seeing it that wasn't the fact. Then they started to use sealed and greased bearing for life . When they started to use the sealed bearings, the bearing failure went way down. So as I see it you are a lot better without the fittings. Just something about a grease fitting that give people a good feeling to put a grease gun on that fitting and see the grease squeezing out all over the place and making a big mess.

You probably saw/replaced some of those "placebo effect" spindles that had grease zerks.....but had sealed bearings inside. Satisfied an owner's urge, but the grease added through the zerks never saw a bearing:0)

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You probably saw/replaced some of those "placebo effect" spindles that had grease zerks.....but had sealed bearings inside. Satisfied an owner's urge, but the grease added through the zerks never saw a bearing:0)

I have been doing this for many years and not new at it. I have lost count many years ago as to the number of bearings I have replaced. I worked for a large factory that all I did was change bearings for three years in their manufacturing equipment. Hated the job. Yes I know what you are talking about here because I have replaced bearings with the seals inside. I have also removed the inner seals so the grease can reach the ball bearings. This isn't what I was talking about. I am talking about sealed bearings without any fitting.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either way, if you grease a spindle with sealed bearings, and it has some age/wear on it, grease will/can be forced past the worn seals and into the bearings, but that is secondary to this discussion.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Either way, if you grease a spindle with sealed bearings, and it has some age/wear on it, grease will/can be forced past the worn seals and into the bearings, but that is secondary to this discussion.

If it has age and wear a ball bearing needs replacing.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
This isn't what I was talking about. I am talking about sealed bearings without any fitting.
Yeah, I understand that(I have sealed cast iron spindles on my Gravely). I, like many, was concerned about no greases zerks...but EVERY dealer told me that the sealed bearings had been used for quite a few years(even on some mowers, like my Craftsman....Husqvarna...I bought in 2006 that had grease fittings). The Gravely mechanic bet me that if I disassembled the spindles on that Craftsman I would find sealed bearings inside. After hearing the same story from every dealer I got more comfortable about buying a ZTR with sealed spindles(the Gravely mechanic told me they would easily last 1,000-1,5000 hours...which is longer than I will live to see on that mower putting 30-40 hours/year on it:0)

Big-Al

Threads
If I get 1500 hrs or more out of my mower. I'll be very pleased.