Honda Self propelled push mower dying problems

Indywar2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

I purchased a used Honda self-propelled mower (model HRT216KTDA) several months ago, as we moved to a house that I couldn't use my riding craftsman mower. Over the last 1-2 months it took about 5-10 pulls to get it start and then would run good. Today I added ~2 oz of Seafoam to the gas tank, and then filled it full with gas, as I had read this will clean out the carb and make the mower run better. I had mowed the back yard today, and when I was about half done with the front the mower started dying on me. After it died, it would start up again, and it started right away. However, eventually it would die, and finally would not re-start.

Any suggestions as the cause and what I need to do to get it running good ?

Thanks,
Rob (IN)

Vervepipes

Threads
If you open the carb drain does it flow gas out? If no then either the fuel line is plugged or the carb needle seat is plugged and not allowing fuel into the carb. If yes, Try spraying some carb cleaner into the intake with the filter off and pull start it right away, if it runs for a few seconds then either the fuel jet or one of the other passages are clogged or the needle seat is partially plugged not allowing enough fuel to fill the bowl to meet demand and the carb will need to be cleaned. The sea foam may have loosened some varnish or something not soluble and plugged a line. Try cleaning the carb for good measure, it doesn't take too long to do and carb cleaner is cheap, and with the bowl off you can check to see if you have fuel flow before you take the carb right off. Worse case, a reproduction carb is very cheap online, I've recently had good luck with a Chinese knockoff carb on my Honda.

What makes me think of a fuel system clog as that it died while mowing, and then restarted right after, so possibly a partial clog at that point with enough down time to re-fill the bowl, and then it died again, possibly that it became a complete clog. Cleaning the carb will cost you about $5 for the cleaner, and use a garbage bag tie to poke into orifices and holes. Before you take it all apart though try the carb cleaner into the intake, or a tiny bit of gas, just to make sure you have spark.

Good luck

Indywar2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Updated:

* "If you open the carb drain does it flow gas out?" ----Yes, there was gas flowing out of the carb drain.

I did go ahead and pull off the carb and cleaned it yesterday. It appeared in good shape and clean (the guy I bought it from mentioned he just cleaned it before selling). I didn't notice any clogged openings in the carb, but cleaned them anyways, as you mentioned in your previous e-mail. I re-assembled and it started OK, and I ran it for a little. At one point it sound like it might die, but did not. I'll see next week how it runs after setting. Before removing the carb, I checked the spark plug and air filter, both were dry and the air filter looks new.

Thanks again for the advice.
Rob

Indywar2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Another Update: After removing the carb and cleaning it a couple of weeks ago, the mower ran long enough to mow the back yard. However, today I started it and it took ~ 15 pulls to get it started. I ran it until it used the old gas with the Seafoam in it. I then filled it with new gas, hoping this would help. It started up right away, but it died in about 5 minutes, and then I couldn't keep it running for more than a minute.

Any thoughts as the the cause and fix?

Thanks,
Rob

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a time where its more cost effective to simply buy a new carb

Mike88se

Threads
There is a time where its more cost effective to simply buy a new carb

If it's a carb problem (and it almost always is) then this would be the time. Most Honda cars are in the $20 to $25 range.
Did you empty the fuel tank and clean it out?
I've never seem Seafoam do anything except make smoke. Not trying to get another debate going but Seafoam is snake oil.

Indywar2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again for the advice. It looks like it is time to replace the carb. To Mike88se, no I did not clean out the fuel tank. So what is the best way of doing this. After I drain the fuel, do I I take a cloth rag to wipe the inside of the tank or is there some other procedure. Also, I plan to purchase new gaskets (choke side carb gasket, insulator size carb gasket(2), insulator gasket). Are any of these gasket held on with an adhesive, or just pressure from the carb/air filter bolts? If adhesive, on which gasket and what type of adhesive.

Thanks,
Rob

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No adhesive just pressure. Usually when I clean the tank I remove and stick it in my dishwasher. Wipe out with paper towel when done. I would replace your fuel line to will cost maybe $2 at napa or related

Indywar2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just checked the tank with a flashlight, and there is no visible particulates. I even shook it and nothing in the tank (other than gas:) Also, the fuel lines look new, no cracks and were still pliable. I'll usually add fuel stabilizer to my 5 gallon Eagle gas can, but I will drain the gas in the lawnmower before I install the new carb & gaskets.

Rob