Exmark blade change. Bolt stuck. Help pls

allenb4473

Threads
Ok I was just outside trying to install a new set of Oregon G6's on my 52" Lazer Z CT. Keep in mind...I've never attempted this before and really didn't know what I was doing, but felt pretty confident after watching a youtube vid. Starting from the 'drivers side' I blocked up a wrench on the big nut up top and put a breaker bar down below. I unscrewed the bolt, which came off relatively easy. no sweat.

Then, I repeated the process for the middle blade. I break the nut and get it off there. I then tapped on the bolt and it just wont give. I've pounded the hell out of it to the point that it's mushroomed and will probably need to be replaced...but it still refuses to budge. Am I missing something here? At this point I just want to get it out of there by any means and a maul ain't cutting it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now that you have mushroomed the shaft it is not going to pass threw the bearings.
And you will probably need bearings if the shaft is stuck to them.

At this point I would just order a whole new spindle.

The shaft being this hard to get out means you needed bearings anyways.

Rd05lly

Threads
Put pressure on the bolt with breaker bar and tap socket with hammer. Does same thing as a impact not a well but will break them free some times.

Or you could buy an impact

Take a picture of what you have going on.

allenb4473

Threads
Here ya go. Basically Ive just removed the nut and beat the snot out of it. I also filed the top couple threads a bit in a effort to get the nut back on there.
20140717_222207.jpg

Rd05lly

Threads
Block the blade with a piece of wood. Then put breaker bar on bolt below.

allenb4473

Threads
I'll give that a shot tomorrow after work

tbarnett

Threads
It appears that the bolt has some rust/corrosion. Squirt some PB Blaster on it and let it sit for awhile. If you do get it removed check your bearings for any rust damage. I would most likely replace them too.

allenb4473

Threads
Block the blade with a piece of wood. Then put breaker bar on bolt below.

Thanks for the tip. It worked great. The 3rd spindle bolt was stuck too, but blocking the blade and cranking on it with a breaker bar did the job.

Let me know if you think I need anything else, here's my shopping list:

1 spindle bolt
3x bearing sets
Grease
anti seize (I think I read somewhere to use this on something)

There are no zerks on the spindle that I could find, do I pack it with grease? I'm far from a mechanic. lol Anyone wanna help me out with a run down on replacing the bearings?