Repairs GT1554 won't start...want to validate what the repairman is advising

jmdeegan

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / GT1554 won't start...want to validate what the repairman is advising
So, I have a very lightly used, garage-kept 1554. Bought it in 2006, i think it has under or right around 100 hours on it, if that.
for the last couple summers, I have barely used it. Used some, yes, but really hardly at all. I personally cannot remember the last time I started it.

I am now back up at the house full time, so when I arrived a few weeks ago, I needed to mow and went to start it and it would not start. My initial assumption was dead battery, as it's probably been unused and unmoved since the end of season 2012, if I had to guess. I was getting some lights on the dash and nothing else.

Here's full disclosure on me. I can fix electronics--computers and such--but when it comes to cars and engines and such...I am just terrible.

So my first thought was get a new battery--i couldn't find jumper cables to try and jump it. Got the new battery, and then found my cables. tried to jump it and it would turn the engine, but never start. So i was told by some aquaintances that this could be an issue with spark plugs, bad fuel (it had been sitting a while) or maybe a mouse chewed a wire. who knows.

i was frustrated, had limited access to the 'net for a change and was way out of my comfort zone. so i called a small engine guy recommended to me, and he has now looked at it and told me that he believes the starter to be fried, and thus the culprit. said he managed to get it started a time or two, or at least close to it, when the starter was really cold, but when it heated up no chance.

he's saying itll be around 150 installed, as the part is 100+. i looked, seemed i could get one anywhere from 60-100, but i dont have the knowledge currently (and maybe not the tools either) to do it myself.

so I guess for my sanity....and since he has the mower now....is it possible that a year plus of non-use in a garage which may or may not have gotten really warm, contributed to the demise of my starter? or did I fry it when i tried jumping the battery, and there's possibly some other issue yet to be uncovered?

just trying to make sense of it, because in my current situation, 150 is a lot of money to spend, but i need the mower working to keep my lawn managed.....i just don't want to be shooting myself in the foot

packardv8

Threads
....is it possible that a year plus of non-use in a garage which may or may not have gotten really warm, contributed to the demise of my starter? or did I fry it when i tried jumping the battery, and there's possibly some other issue yet to be uncovered?

No, the heat in the garage didn't harm the starter.

Maybe, you could have damaged something jump starting it, but unlikely.
told me that he believes the starter to be fried, and thus the culprit. said he managed to get it started a time or two, or at least close to it, when the starter was really cold, but when it heated up no chance.

The description you give is too vague to allow much advice. What exactly is happening? Does the cranking speed slow down when the starter warms up? Within how many seconds does the starter get hot? Any smoke? Was your new battery fully charged?

The most likely cause of starting problems is wiring/switch failure or voltage drop. Do a search and you'll find a dozen variations of your problem and most aren't the starter.

jack vines

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
ISeries Riding Tractor Shop Manual pages 84-86 schematics, I would check fuses between ignition switch & starter. Check oil level, change oil & filter if not been changed in a while, replace & gap spark plugs to specs., replace air filter & fuel filter. Suggestion, use oem parts, shop online for best price.

Merlin2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
JM, if it hasn't ran since the end of 2012 and the starter will spin the engine good but it will not start then I feel sure the carburetor is probably gummed up from the old gas that has been in there for such a long time. However, if the starter will barely turn the engine over even with a jump then most likely the starter is bad I just went through the starter thing on my SLT-1554. Starter issue or not I'm very doubtful about the carburetor if the mower hasn't ran since 2012.

My starter issue; 2006 Super LT Starting Issue - Only Cub Cadets