Prrescription costs-RIPOFF

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got a new RX earlier this week for a certain medication I am prescribed...have been taking it since about Y2K. I saved the invoice for the RX of the same drug from last May, my co-pay under BC/BS plan was $40 then, and my insurance was billed $2208 for their share of the 180 tablets.

You think that is a lot, right?

Well, one year later I am still paying the $40 co-pay, but my insurance was billed $3092 for their share of the 180 tablets. Same drug, same strength, same comnpany producing it. The price to consumers started creeping up back about 2004, I remember it being about $770 in total for 180 tablets then. What is involved here is pure GREED. The company that holds the patent on the drug I take is steadily jacking up the price because the patent expires next year, and when that happens, generics will be available at a much lower price. It surprises me that the medical coverage firms such as BC/BS permit such price hikes. Seems it should be illegal.

poncho62

Threads
I started taking Lipitor last year.......It was a bout $2 a pill......It has gone down quite a bit in the last year....The druggist told me that when a drug is new, its more expensive.....and also, if more people need the drug, it gets mass produced, so that makes it cheaper.......Maybe, your drug is not used by many people, thus more expensive...not fair.....

I know these drug companies are crooks, but thats what my druggist told me

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I started taking Lipitor last year.......It was a bout $2 a pill......It has gone down quite a bit in the last year....The druggist told me that when a drug is new, its more expensive.....and also, if more people need the drug, it gets mass produced, so that makes it cheaper.......Maybe, your drug is not used by many people, thus more expensive...not fair.....

I know these drug companies are crooks, but thats what my druggist told me

Your druggist is correct...but the pills I take have been produced since 1998 and are used to treat excessive daytine sleepiness, are widely used...it's not like they are a small market. Brand name is Provigil...fromn what I have read online, the pills are used by the armed forces and DEA agents to increase alertness...wonder if Uncle Sam also has to pay the inane markup?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a doctor - so take this as advice from someone who was on Statins - after Quad Bypass in 02 I was put on Statins (tried many different ones) -- if it was on the list of side effects, it happened to me. I started loosing strength and got muscle cramps etc. Started taking CoQ-10 and it got better - stopped all the Statins and am back to nearly normal.

Just watch out if you are prescribed Statins. :eek:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not a doctor - so take this as advice from someone who was on Statins - after Quad Bypass in 02 I was put on Statins (tried many different ones) -- if it was on the list of side effects, it happened to me. I started loosing strength and got muscle cramps etc. Started taking CoQ-10 and it got better - stopped all the Statins and am back to nearly normal.

Just watch out if you are prescribed Statins. :eek:

Thanks BK...and please remember...BIG PRINT for the old guy (ME) :laughing:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
And the philosophers of our day sit with their chin on their fist, asking "Why is the price of health insurance so high?" Seems a question that could be answered by a ten year-old.....:rolleyes:

When everybody's done being greedy (from the doctors, to the pharmacudicals, to the health insurance companies, to the employer offering the cheapest crap they can get their mitts on....) it is the paying customer that gets shafted - while everyone else is playing money games. Makes me irate. :mad:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
And the philosophers of our day sit with their chin on their fist, asking "Why is the price of health insurance so high?" Seems a question that could be answered by a ten year-old.....:rolleyes:

When everybody's done being greedy (from the doctors, to the pharmacudicals, to the health insurance companies, to the employer offering the cheapest crap they can get their mitts on....) it is the paying customer that gets shafted - while everyone else is playing money games. Makes me irate. :mad:

Well expressed...and it makes me more than irate, because I am the resident old grump here.....

Bison

Threads
I go to the doctor if i ail something and he gets paid,cause the guy is got to live too right.
Then i go to the pharmasist and get the subscription pills,that guy got to make a living too.
When i get home i chuck the whole pill shebang in the carbage bin. I got to live too you know :wink:

mystreba

Threads
I always get a laugh whenever I debate someone on health care problems in the U.S. They will often claim that "America has the best health care in the world!" When you counter this claim, they respond - "when rich people around the world need medical care, they come to the U.S.!" That's when I consider the debate over, since they've pretty much made my argument for me.

By any measure related to delivery of healthcare, we rank at or near the bottom of all developed countries (unless you measure in terms of cost, in which case we are "NUMBER ONE - woo-hoo!!")

In a purely market-driven, fee-for-service system, we have to expect these kinds of issues. Hey, if you're in a situation where you've got a co-pay for your medication, count your blessings.