Honda Harmony II HRT216TDA/Serial MZCG-6381880 Drive/Clutch Cable Replacement

catsclaw009

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda Harmony II HRT216TDA/Serial MZCG-6381880 Drive/Clutch Cable Replacement
Hi Everyone!!!

My Drive/Clutch cable sheared off while I was mowing. I have ordered a new one but haven't a clue as how to go about replacing it once I get it.

I'm an aspiring do-it-yourselfer but have never worked on a lawn mower before. I was successful in diagnosing and repairing my dryer so I figured how bad can this be, right?

Any help, info, diagrams would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Cat

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Honda Harmony II HRT216TDA/Serial MZCG-6381880 Drive/Clutch Cable Replacement
Hi Everyone!!!

My Drive/Clutch cable sheared off while I was mowing. I have ordered a new one but haven't a clue as how to go about replacing it once I get it.

You came to the right place...not bad at all to R&R (remove and replace) the drive clutch cable. You want Honda Part Number 54510-VG4-C01, list price $7.20. Google the part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:

Find A Honda Dealer

Here are two pages from the shop manual that show how to get to the cable; I think you can ignore all references to the "change cable" (goes to the shift lever). No need to remove the transmission, but you do need to rotate it a bit...

cable1_zpsf7e81a1b.jpg

cable2_zpsbdf61129.jpg

Finally, a full, 135 page paper shop manual is available from Honda via Amazon or eBay / free shipping and updates for three years

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

catsclaw009

Forum Newbie
Threads
WOW! Thank you so, so much! I was afraid I'd have parts all over my driveway and have my neighbors thinking I was a raving, cussing lunatic. (Of course, I haven't actually started yet.) :laughing:

I will update as needed or if I actually manage to complete the repair myself.

Again, thank you so much!

Cathy

catsclaw009

Forum Newbie
Threads
As promised, I am posting an update on my project. It's completed and was successful! All-in-all, it took about 45 minutes. I mowed my overly long lawn today (my neighbor is happy again) and it works like a champ. One more, first-time do-it-yourself project, successfully completed under my belt.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time and contributed information to help me do this project myself. You people are the best!!! :thumbsup:

Cathy