How to mow grass correctly??

LandN

Threads
I've been mowing my grass at my mower's highest setting (maybe 3" or 4"). I've been reading up on some articles that say that this helps conserve water. However, it seems like everytime I mow the grass, the wheels on my lawn mower presses the grass blades flat since they are so long and so they never get cut.
I can definitely notice the grass is a lot more wet when I mow now. A lot of times, my mulching lawnmower also leaves clumps on the side which presses the grass even more. And if I don't remove those clumps, the grass will die leaving lines of yellow dead grass where the wheels pressed it down.

So my question is....How do I cut my grass evenly without pressing the grass blades flat?

You refer to your mower as a mulching mower. so i'll asume you have a dedicated mulcher mower which means no bagging and no side discharge.correct? there is a 1/3 rule when cutting grass,you can google it and read all about it in your free time. i dont think many people use it(1/3 rule) though.one thing you can do is - SAFELY- MOWER OFF is wipe the under deck off a lot so the cut grass has room to circulate in the deck.wet growing season is tough to cut. i also get wet tire tracks and clumps, what i do is ----today for example, the front yard was long and damp so i cut east to west using the SIDE DISCHARGE and being careful not to spray clippings on the sidewalk and driveway and against the house.then MULCH the clippings going west to east. then i bag in a diagonal direction with the bagger on to final dress the lawn. so what i did was cut in 3 directions,got rid of matted tire tracks and clumps. but with a dedicated mulcher you just have to cut often.good luck

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
You refer to your mower as a mulching mower. so i'll asume you have a dedicated mulcher mower which means no bagging and no side discharge.correct? there is a 1/3 rule when cutting grass,you can google it and read all about it in your free time. i dont think many people use it(1/3 rule) though.one thing you can do is - SAFELY- MOWER OFF is wipe the under deck off a lot so the cut grass has room to circulate in the deck.wet growing season is tough to cut. i also get wet tire tracks and clumps, what i do is ----today for example, the front yard was long and damp so i cut east to west using the SIDE DISCHARGE and being careful not to spray clippings on the sidewalk and driveway and against the house.then MULCH the clippings going west to east. then i bag in a diagonal direction with the bagger on to final dress the lawn. so what i did was cut in 3 directions,got rid of matted tire tracks and clumps. but with a dedicated mulcher you just have to cut often.good luck

You ever get a trophy for 'best lawn', or have Tiger Woods wanna drive from your yard? Jeez, that's a LOT of messin around. :biggrin:

LandN

Threads
HI TWALL, the yard i refered to is a customers yard and not my own,so it has to look nice. i'm trying to cut back on the number of lawns i do a year, its fun but a lot of work,specially with a 10 hr. a day job.:confused2::thumbsup: my smallish yard i just hit it once and its done.:smile:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
HI TWALL, the yard i refered to is a customers yard and not my own,so it has to look nice. i'm trying to cut back on the number of lawns i do a year, its fun but a lot of work,specially with a 10 hr. a day job.:confused2::thumbsup: my smallish yard i just hit it once and its done.:smile:

AHHHHH...that makes sense now. I'd never do all that for my own yard! :laughing: But, when doing someone else's.....the customer is king.

Wanna make my yard look nice for me? I'd like to be "king for a day". :thumbsup:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LawnMowerForum, rac1201!!

I hope you found the info on this thread valuable. I, for one, know little to nothing about mowing, so I found it very informative :rolleyes: Let us know how it comes along!

fastback

Threads
Thought I'd add my 2 cents. I think speed is a big factor I have a mulching deck on my Sears GT and it a gear type I usually cut in high range first gear. This helps get all of the grass. The type of deck I have is the main complaint I have had about this tractor. I tried to get regular blades, but they don't make them for my deck. The deck is a 46 incher and I have to cut every 3 days through out the summer. I wear the risers off the blades and need to relace them each season. That is $50.00 before I do anything. I think I mentioned that I am buying a new machine it will be hydrostatic with a 52 inch deck. I'm hoping I can get the speed up just a little. We'll see. Even cutting as often as I do I am still required to use my vacuum from time to time. My property is very moist and shady.

I think tha this is an excellent thread. I think many of us would like to know what other people are doing or how they are doing it. I think the meter just clicked my two cents is done.

Regards

steved

Threads
Like I said.....it's too much BS for me to empty the clippings over and over....although I like the cut better (and it vacs up little twigs and leaves), I still maintain that with regular mowing, spraying the clippings onto where you mowed, is the best approach....always have. Outward-in circle........(with discharge going toward where you've mown).

I do the opposite...I blow the clippings where I haven't mowed yet...I never have clumps, nor do I ever need to bag. The grass clippings just disappear into the lawn...future fertilizer. Our new Grasshopper is better at this than the previous rider, mainly because the blades are more like mulchers than a regular blade...the clippings come out about a half inch long.

I've always kept my yard mowed around 2.5"s...this year, mainly because I have more options on the deck height; we are going to mow it about 3.5 inches. Our cut grass is higher than the neighbor's un-mowed portions, but our lawn looks so much better than everyone else's and it doesn't look as "shaggy" when left gone for a few days past a regular mowing.

mystreba

Threads
I do the opposite...I blow the clippings where I haven't mowed yet....

Outside-In, or Inside-Out? When I mow the back field I start on the inside and throw the clippings to the outside - eventually I move all the clippings from the entire field to the outer edges. But when I mow the front lawn, I don't want all those clippings on the edges, 'cuz that's where my beds are. So I start on the outside and mow in, eventually moving all the clippings to the inside. In this manner, depending on the length of the cut, I may have to vacuum or rake some of the clippings when I'm done.

hoehappa

Threads
I've been mowing my grass at my mower's highest setting (maybe 3" or 4"). I've been reading up on some articles that say that this helps conserve water. However, it seems like everytime I mow the grass, the wheels on my lawn mower presses the grass blades flat since they are so long and so they never get cut.
I can definitely notice the grass is a lot more wet when I mow now. A lot of times, my mulching lawnmower also leaves clumps on the side which presses the grass even more. And if I don't remove those clumps, the grass will die leaving lines of yellow dead grass where the wheels pressed it down.

So my question is....How do I cut my grass evenly without pressing the grass blades flat?

Black and decker lawn mower, you really have a black and decker lawn mower

steved

Threads
Outside-In, or Inside-Out? When I mow the back field I start on the inside and throw the clippings to the outside - eventually I move all the clippings from the entire field to the outer edges. But when I mow the front lawn, I don't want all those clippings on the edges, 'cuz that's where my beds are. So I start on the outside and mow in, eventually moving all the clippings to the inside. In this manner, depending on the length of the cut, I may have to vacuum or rake some of the clippings when I'm done.

I mow outside to inside, because I don't have a border on either neighbor...I always run the chute away from any landscaping.

Again, I have zero clippings at the end...but I think that also depends on the mower and blades. Their not all the same...and I've noticed my Grasshopper seems to spin the blades faster than the neighbor's JD, and they end up with a lot of clumping in the same grasss.