Dethatching blade for home use

poncho62

Threads
What are your opinions of these blades that you can put on a mower to dethatch your lawn?...I know I can rent a special machines for this, but I only want to do my own yard and a small area of it at that.

I looked online and there seems to be 2 types....one with these spring steel things on them and the other type looks like a regular blade with holes where you put trimmer type plastic string in them....

opinions please...........

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sears has a dethatcher I'd like to get - it is the spring - type, and it's attached to a sweeper!

What I'll probably just buy is the $62 tow - behind spring type (sears). The spring type seems to be more common (as if they can't sell anough the other kind to warrant getting them in).

Pete321

Forum Newbie
Threads
What are your opinions of these blades that you can put on a mower to dethatch your lawn?...I know I can rent a special machines for this, but I only want to do my own yard and a small area of it at that.

I looked online and there seems to be 2 types....one with these spring steel things on them and the other type looks like a regular blade with holes where you put trimmer type plastic string in them....

Hi Poncho62. I've used the spring steel type and it works great. Make sure you set the mower height according to the instructions that come with the dethatcher attachment. The lawn will look horrible when you're done but don't worry. Rake it all up and when it's warm enough, overseed. Fertilize once the seed is up a couple inches, not too heavily though, maybe 3 LBS per 1,000 sq ft with a starter blend.

LandN

Threads

I use the small gas engine 'mantis' with the power rake tines attachment and i have had real good results for several years of use with it.i feel i can get into tighter spots and it will get better results on uneven yards, plus it stores very well in a garage with little space needed. plus its 2 times less that you have to change mower blades:thumbsup: