HRC216K2 HXA SERIES throttle cable linkage

honda1

Threads
hello
just finished replacing a bent crankshaft on this mower and I am following the direction of the service manual to attach the throttle cable BUT I must of be missing some step because when I attach cable to the control plate and move cable to choke position the choke butterfly is not 100% closed more like 60% the spring tension seems to open it up tried adjusting the throttle cable by releasing the lock nuts on cable but no luck has any body have any suggestions
thank you all

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
hello
just finished replacing a bent crankshaft on this mower and I am following the direction of the service manual to attach the throttle cable BUT I must of be missing some step because when I attach cable to the control plate and move cable to choke position the choke butterfly is not 100% closed more like 60% the spring tension seems to open it up tried adjusting the throttle cable by releasing the lock nuts on cable but no luck has any body have any suggestions
thank you all

Are you getting the required 0-1 mm clearance on the control choke arm? If not, loosen the lock nuts on the throttle cable and adjust.

Next, move the throttle to CHOKE; does the choke fully close? If not, turn screw B OUT until the choke closes, then turn it a small bit IN until it contacts the control lever.

FYI screw A is used to set the maximum speed (FAST) to 3,100 +/-50 RPM.
hrcthrottlechoke_zps746ac85d.jpg

honda1

Threads
Are you getting the required 0-1 mm clearance on the control choke arm? If not, loosen the lock nuts on the throttle cable and adjust.

Next, move the throttle to CHOKE; does the choke fully close? If not, turn screw B OUT until the choke closes, then turn it a small bit IN until it contacts the control lever.

FYI screw A is used to set the maximum speed (FAST) to 3,100 +/-50 RPM.
hrcthrottlechoke_zps746ac85d.jpg

thank you robert@honda I shall give it a try and see what happens I didn't want to fiddle around with the cables until I could clearly see what is happening
thank you again been great help

honda1

Threads
thank you robert@honda I shall give it a try and see what happens I didn't want to fiddle around with the cables until I could clearly see what is happening
thank you again been great help

I managed to get it started BUT the problem that the cable lever that controls the throttle seem that it acts as though is spring loaded when you put it say fast it wants to creep towards the slow position the revs drop down that when you engage the blade the engine stalls
any ideas of where I am going wrong?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I managed to get it started BUT the problem that the cable lever that controls the throttle seem that it acts as though is spring loaded when you put it say fast it wants to creep towards the slow position the revs drop down that when you engage the blade the engine stalls
any ideas of where I am going wrong?

So after the engine is fully warmed up, and you move the throttle to FAST, what happens?

FYI, you should only attempt to engage the blade when the throttle is set to FAST. If you try to engage the blade when the throttle is NOT set to FAST, it will likely stall the engine.

honda1

Threads
So after the engine is fully warmed up, and you move the throttle to FAST, what happens?

FYI,
you should only attempt to engage the blade when the throttle is set to FAST. If you try to engage the blade when the throttle is NOT set to FAST, it will likely stall the engine.

I start engine let it warm up put throttle to fast position (but I don't think the revs are fast enough) I push to engage the blade you let I run and gradualy the throttle slides to the slow position on its own and the mower dies
the manual says to put the governor spring on 2nd hole from bottom on the control lever (is that right? ) what am I missing that's giving me all this aggravation
thx Robert @Honda I appreciate your help

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the throttle lever is slipping out of its detent. This may be rectified with an updated lever that has an improved detent. Honda issued a Service Bulletin for this issue back in 2008. The fix is just replacing the black throttle lever. Pretty easy job. See the attached copy of the bulletin for full details, including the part number of the throttle (list price is $2.08).

throttle_zpsf95f93da.jpg

Attachments

• Throttle Lever Update.pdf
    615.1 KB · Views: 19

honda1

Threads
Sounds like the throttle lever is slipping out of its detent. This may be rectified with an updated lever that has an improved detent. Honda issued a Service Bulletin for this issue back in 2008. The fix is just replacing the black throttle lever. Pretty easy job. See the attached copy of the bulletin for full details, including the part number of the throttle (list price is $2.08).

throttle_zpsf95f93da.jpg

thank you very much I think this is what the problem is
Robert @Honda you are an angel