Can you cut at TOO tall of a height?

mooch91

Threads
All,

I've always been a believer in the "taller is better" philosophy when it comes to mowing my lawn. It worked well for me at my old house (0.25 acre) to keep it at 3.75 - 4". That lawn was a mix of everything, predominately tall fescue, then rye and blue. It stayed green all season (I did have irrigation).

I've recently moved to a new place with a 1 acre property. Lawn is similar - mix of many things, although I think the predominate grass is blue, followed by rye and tall fescue. I also have irrigation here. I kept my mowing height about the same, 3.75 - 4", but the lawn has not looked as good as I would have liked since late spring. Some things I'm noticing:
  • Lawn grows fast, very fast. Within a week, I'm cutting 5-6" blades.
  • Grass blades are very thin.
  • Color is somewhat pale, not deep green.
  • Grass seems to fold over itself and doesn't cut very neatly. Lots of stragglers and matting from the wheels of the mower.
  • Lawn experienced some fungus (looked like red thread) a couple of weeks back which has made some significant areas brown and dry despite irrigation.
  • Irrigation doesn't seem to be making its way to the soil, the soil seems to be very dry.

So, my question: is it possible to cut grass at TOO tall of a height? I look at the recommendations for KBG which are at 2.5", rye at 2.5", and tall fescue at 3.5" and wondering if I should bring the height down a few notches. I always thought that taller was better, especially as the weather gets warmer, to keep the grass cool and prevent it from drying out.

The lawns that I see in the neighborhood that look the best do seem to be cut at a much lower height than what I'm using, but they also look like a mono-type of grass (usually tall fescue).

I've put about 1.6 lb N2/1000 sq ft so far this season (March, May, June) and included an application of Barricade in the spring. I've got an infestation of japanese beetles now that I'm treating (already two apps of grub killer including imidacloprid in June - I think there was a serious infestation of grubs last year that has carried over this year). My plans for the fall include a core aeration followed by spreading of some better grass varieties, mainly tall fescue and KBG, to get some better stands of grass in the lawn.

Thanks!

[
IMG_20140621_105014_096_zps6eb32eee.jpg

Last edited:

possum

Threads
Fungus has been horrible here this season. Grass grew very slowly after a hard winter and cold then hot then cold spring. Last fall seeded grass about half froze out and the other half has died or been set way back from red thread and rust. The native buffalo grass looks like it does in a droughted summer from the fungus damage. Now the heat and dry weather has got us watering it and who knows what will be next. Your grass looks pretty good to me. I would just keep doing what you are doing.

sjessen

Threads
Your description of the dominant grass in your lawn reminds me of some lawns down here in that they have similar characteristics. Don't like them at all for all the reasons you listed. A lot of sod sold locally is a creeping fescue which eventually finds its way into the beds. Be interested to see what others have to say.

Nwatson99

Threads
Grass looks too tall, try it at 3.25" on the next cut.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
No such thing as grass cut too tall. The ONLY problem you will find with grass too tall is the aesthetic of it. Go for it.

Dave
Gardener::Lawn Service::Landscaper

Have to disagree, tall grass folds over and doesn't always get sucked or fluffed up by the mower and doesn't get cut. This folded grass will choke out other grass killing the grass under it. When you do eventually cut the long grass you will be left with dead or bare spots

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Personally I think it depends on the type of grass and mower. I've prominently tall fescue at my house. I can't ever remember cutting it below 4 1/4" s. We mow a ton of tall fescue and blue grass in our area. I never let them cut under 4" s on those grasses. We do have a few that are prominently rye and we cut those at 3 1/4" s. I'd say if your treating it properly and your mowers giving you a clean cut then cut it tall. Fescue loves wet feet and sunshine on its face.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have lots of Kentucky blue and fescue here. I cut it at 3.5" I have a few lawns that have had bent grass take over. If I can I try to cut that at 1.5"

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Yuck bent grass sucks, I try and thin it out with triplet and over seed in the fall with tall fescue. Well, if the customer is willing to pay for that.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
My type of client doesn't care enough to do anything about it. I just now it and keep it green