blade belt slips off

gfp55

Threads
Good pictures, does idler arm move, is it bent, loose, cracked? QUOTE]

It would be a good idea to check to see why the pulleys top lid was worn off in the first place. mechanic mark asks "does idler arm move, is it dent, loose, cracked?" I think he's looking for the reason for the pulley damage (top lip worn off). You might check the alignment and/or side to side movement of the idler pulley or the part that holds the idler pulley so you don't have the same problem with the new pulley. Maybe you could let everyone here know what you find. Good luck with your Murray.....

Murray1

Threads
Update. Pulley intalled cut grass twice and the top pulley lip has been ripped off again.

It appears that the idler arm is getting into the pulley area. I am assuming at this point that it is not supposed to do that.

Not sure why. I will need to do some more checking.

Murray1

Threads
Not sure from previous pictures if anyone can tell if my adjustable arm is bent. Also, where can I get a new one.

Thanks.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure from previous pictures if anyone can tell if my adjustable arm is bent. Also, where can I get a new one. Thanks.

I think it is bent and the belt is rubbing on the top of the pulley.
You should be able to bend it back.

Murray1

Threads
Any where I can look to see where to bend it back to? I can try and start bending but not sure what is supposed to be shaped like.

I play aroumd with it and see if it moves away from the pulley.

Thanks.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The idler pivot is the problem. With the belt off I'm guessing the idler pulley can be moved up and down at least an inch. A common problem on spring belt tension idlers but not so on stationary idlers.

Murray1

Threads
What is the fix for the pivot problem? This seems to make sence.

Thanks.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not sure why I did not think of it. My toro does it all the time. The bolt and nut that hold the arm to the deck comes loose

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This one was in terrible condition but I was able to return it to service. This is an old one from 82 or 84. The hole in the bracket was egged from wear. If you scribe center lines to locate the hole after welding it can be brought to original by welding the hole closed and drilling. OR if a new can can be located go that route.

The deck was worse but I hammered it back flat and put a thin large flat washer underneath. One thing to watch for is this is all assembled with a shouldered bolt but enough threads were available the thin washer worked. That deck area could also have been welded back to specifications with the right equipment and good eyes I don't have any more.

Attachments

• murray idler Bkt 7-28-07.jpg
    murray idler Bkt 7-28-07.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Murray Idler Bracket mount hole -2-28-07.jpg
    Murray Idler Bracket mount hole -2-28-07.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Murray Idler Bracket  referbed -2-28-07.jpg
    Murray Idler Bracket referbed -2-28-07.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 4

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure why I did not think of it. My toro does it all the time. The bolt and nut that hold the arm to the deck comes loose
You could consider a Nylock nut or thread locker to keep it where it belongs.