Walk behind 1984 19

Pochie

Threads
I bought this mower new in 1984. I really haven't used it much in 30 years, sometimes sitting for years. I last ran it 3 years ago, but I think it had this problem then. It started on 1st pull after adding fresh gas. It only starts and runs with the clutch brake lever held in..when I disengage the blade with the handle lever it stops running.Other than this is runs great. It cost me $384 in 1985. Any help will be appreciated.Pochie.
l

Pochie

Threads
I bought this mower new in 1984. I really haven't used it much in 30 years, sometimes sitting for years. I last ran it 3 years ago, but I think it had this problem then. It started on 1st pull after adding fresh gas. It only starts and runs with the clutch brake lever held in..when I disengage the blade with the handle lever it stops running.Other than this is runs great. It cost me $384 in 1985. Any help will be appreciated.Pochie.
l
FYI: I found out that the brake clutch is worn out and can be replaced or taken off or used as is being very careful.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would this mower be a Honda HR194? That is the only 19" Honda (USA model) I know of...

hr194_zps0d333495.jpg

FYI, way back in 1988, there was a Service Bulletin issued about the Roto-Stop brake; it might not release, making the mower hard to start. Honda offers an updated set of parts to resolve this.

Let me know if you do indeed have this model, and I can post more details.

Pochie

Threads
Hi. I have my booklet here. The model is: HR194 PXA Engine #: 1051027 Frame#: 1014014. I don't have the serial# written down but if needed, I can find it tomorrow. I have changed addresses since 1984 so maybe Honda tried to contact me? It looks like mine, except I don't have a handle...just the button you push and the lever goes down.
Thank you for your help. Pochie

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi. I have my booklet here. The model is: HR194 PXA Engine #: 1051027 Frame#: 1014014.

The frame serial number is the mower's serial number, and I can confirm yours is in the range of mowers that might be affected by a failed Roto-Stop brake.

WAY back in 1988, Honda issued a Service Bulletin for the HR194 that had an issue with uneven Roto-Stop brake wear, which could make the mower difficult to start. The brake should be inspected for excessive wear and galling. The brake disc, drive disk, clutch spring, and clutch return springs (2) are replaced with updated parts.

Best bet is to have a Honda dealer inspect the mower and determine if the brake system needs replacement. It could be something else, hard to tell for sure. You can find a Honda dealer in your area using this link:
Find A Honda Dealer

If you prefer to DIY, I'd suggest getting a paper shop manual from Honda; here are the links to buy one direct:
Honda Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Shop Manuals on Amazon

Finally, here's a screen shot of the actual bulletin; note the complete repair kit is no longer available, but individual parts (Kit contains the following items) should be...

lm5_zps5219655c.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Pochie

Threads
Thank you very much for all the information. I have a dealer close to me. It looks a bit complicated for me to fix and most times you need special tools.I'll have them look at it but may just use it as is, as it gets very little use. Have a good July 4th. Pochie:smile: