Murray Wiring Issue

doc102003

Threads
I recently was given a Murray 425613x8A. It is a nice looking mower but someone apparently replaced the starter switch and rather than rewiring it correctly they just cut and spliced wires until it ran. Well I was going to rewire it and when I looked at the wire diagram the switch is different than what is says it should be. The diagram, Murray 425613x8A Parts List and Diagram - (2002) : eReplacementParts.com, the switch has tabs 1,2,2,1 with one off to the side. The one that is installed is a 1,2,3 with one off to the side. The wire colors on the harness don't match the colors that should go to the correct tabs. I looked up other wiring diagrams and found this one, Ignition Switch Replaces Murray 92556 | Lawn Mower Parts | MFG Supply. my only question is that mine has an extra yellow and and extra black wire. Where do they go? If anyone could provide a better diagram it would be greatly appreciated. I would much rather fix what I have than have to drop $100 to get a new switch and matching harness. Thanks.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going by the diagram there are two yellow wires, one comes from the PTO switch, and the other goes to the armature, and the black should go to ground.
factory fitted key switch will have 7 pins on the switch. and they are..

B (7) Battery
L (4) Armature
M (2) After-fire Solenoid/Red wire/DC out
S (5) Brake/Clutch (small wire to solenoid)
Y (3) Lights out
A (1) Lights in from stator
G (6) Ground

Check them all, if any are not right, make a note of what you have, wiring problems are not always done in a few minutes, start with a clear head and if you can take photos before you start taking anything apart all the better, that way you have a reference so that you can return to.

doc102003

Threads
Thank you for the listing of the wires. I also have a couple other questions:
1) There is a gray wire coming out of the L spot. Any idea where it goes?
2) What does the Afterfire Solenoid look like? I can follow the yellow to the armature but there is only the one wire coming from it. There isn't is the connector that goes to it.
3) When you look at the diagram the NC box(for lack of proper name) that is next to the battery I cannot find. They had cut a couple of wires to the first NC box. Are the little boxes necessary? What purpose do the serve?
4) Also coming off of the engine there is what looks like a ground wire that is cut and goes to nothing anyone know what it is supposed to be hooked to.

I'm sorry for so many questions. This lawnmower was giving to me and is a decent lawnmower it is just obvious that the people who had it before just went through cutting and splicing stuff and as a result the mower started once and ran but now it wont start and it acts as if its not recharging the battery while you are running it.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank you for the listing of the wires. I also have a couple other questions:
1) There is a gray wire coming out of the L spot. Any idea where it goes?
2) What does the Afterfire Solenoid look like? I can follow the yellow to the armature but there is only the one wire coming from it. There isn't is the connector that goes to it.
3) When you look at the diagram the NC box(for lack of proper name) that is next to the battery I cannot find. They had cut a couple of wires to the first NC box. Are the little boxes necessary? What purpose do the serve?
4) Also coming off of the engine there is what looks like a ground wire that is cut and goes to nothing anyone know what it is supposed to be hooked to.

I'm sorry for so many questions. This lawnmower was giving to me and is a decent lawnmower it is just obvious that the people who had it before just went through cutting and splicing stuff and as a result the mower started once and ran but now it wont start and it acts as if its not recharging the battery while you are running it.

"1) There is a gray wire coming out of the L spot. Any idea where it goes? "

that maybe the other (yellow wire) which should go to the PTO switch "what you are calling NC"

"2) What does the Afterfire Solenoid look like? I can follow the yellow to the armature but there is only the one wire coming from it. There isn't is the connector that goes to it."

The after-fire solenoid, if there is one fitted to the engine will be fitter to the carb.

"3) When you look at the diagram the NC box(for lack of proper name) that is next to the battery I cannot find. They had cut a couple of wires to the first NC box. Are the little boxes necessary? What purpose do the serve?"

The NC box near the battery is the PTO switch, and there should be one.

Let me point out that you need to understand a wiring diagram. let someone who knows and understands what they are doing, do the job for you.

doc102003

Threads
"1) There is a gray wire coming out of the L spot. Any idea where it goes? "

that maybe the other (yellow wire) which should go to the PTO switch "what you are calling NC"

The only issue I have with that is then where does the second yellow wire coming out of m go. Its almost like who ever changed out the harness used the wrong one. I understand the wiring diagram it is just the fact that there appears to be too many wires. That part is a little confusing. And the fact that they had wires cut and then had it wired to a toggle switch that you had to turn on before you could even attempt to turn the key.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you don't have a after-fire solenoid fitted then the wire is just left unused.

doc102003

Threads
Yeah I can't find an after-fire solenoid. So any idea where the gray wire goes?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are sure its (gray) check to see if the wire is connected to the armature from post 4 (L) on the key switch, also check the color of the wire(s) from the safety switches, it maybe the one going to the PTO switch mentioned before, but the wiring diagram is showing two yellows wires from post 4 (L)

doc102003

Threads
Yes it is gray.It is a light gray color. And the cut it so I don't know where it goes to. Right now it is just a wire hanging off of the switch. It is coming out with a red out of L. I do have the two yellow but they are coming out of a different spot.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only two wires that are red shown on diagram are 1 coming from red DC output from stator, and 2 the one going to the 15Amp fuse.