What grass seed?

little mower boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Whats the best kind of grass seed? The best bang for your buck! Me and my dad have tried many different kinds of seed, But none of them performed very well at all. We have a dog, and our yard obviously wont be perfect, but theres many bear, and dead spots in our yard. Ya some from the dog, but there are also many of them that are natural like that.

Thanks for any feedback!

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whats the best kind of grass seed? The best bang for your buck! Me and my dad have tried many different kinds of seed, But none of them performed very well at all. We have a dog, and our yard obviously wont be perfect, but theres many bear, and dead spots in our yard. Ya some from the dog, but there are also many of them that are natural like that.

Thanks for any feedback!

What about the spots from the 'many bear' you mentioned? Those will be hardest to take care of! :wink:

BTW, welcome, and have fun here! :smile:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The best recommendation I can make is to have your soil tested and ask someone local what seed works best there under your soil conditions. Usually soil tests are free or very low cost. :thumbsup:

Good luck !

I'm not great at spelling or english grammar either - bear is an animal - bare a spot where nothing is growing (talking about lawns). I'm 59 today and still learning. :biggrin:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not to worry -- my fingers don't always do what my brain tells them to do on a keyboard ! :eek:

I was better at "typing" in high school than I am now at "keyboarding". :laughing:

mystreba

Threads
I've found that there are two big problems with seed. The first biggest problem is water. The second biggest problem is water.

The first biggest problem is washout. One big rain and it all just washes away. Are you putting anything down to protect the seed?

The second biggest problem is dry-out. Are you watering the seed daily until it germinates and takes root?

lucky

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to keep the new grass seed watered for 10 days , keeping the soil damp :thumbsup: I know once you start to see the grass growing . Let it grow , don't mow untill over a month , and then make sure your blade is sharp :biggrin:

ihc_444

Threads
I agree, get your soil tested, the local farmer co-op (if you have one) will charge about $10, or a college ag department. My uncle and a friend here at work both but out zoysia grass, it is like walking on carpet. It will choke out any weeds once it takes hold. I used a blend of KY 31 and clover to combat my dog. The KY-31 and clover works pretty well, but you have to cut it a lot and higher then most would like to keep it lush and green.