HTC New to Me LAWN-BOY 6259

hankthecrank

Threads
Just inherited another LAWN-BOY a 6259, performed the usual DW-40 clean-up, crank seals, re-coil rope, check air-gap, clean carb, new needle and float, installed an air box cover (not the right one though), gas cap, ignition switch knob, fuel line, in-line filter and rebuilt the tank shut-off, and front wheel bearings, here are some pics:

DSC01601.jpg

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01607.jpg

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just inherited another LAWN-BOY a 6259, performed the usual DW-40 clean-up, crank seals, re-coil rope, check air-gap, clean carb, new needle and float, installed an air box cover (not the right one though), gas cap, ignition switch knob, fuel line, in-line filter and rebuilt the tank shut-off, and front wheel bearings, here are some pics:

DSC01607.jpg

That's a really nice find. Where did you get it? I'm looking for something like that (commercial-grade, two-stroke).

A few more questions (hope you don't mind):

What did you do to the crank seals? Do they routinely need to be replaced?

Are the commercial-grade wheels better than the ones on the consumer-grade Lawn Boys?

sws123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a lawnboy today from the recycling center, it starts fine then it dies, runs for a minute and then dies, and then is hard to restart...Any thoughts? I was thinking it has an inline fuel filter, might that be clogged?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got a lawnboy today from the recycling center, it starts fine then it dies, runs for a minute and then dies, and then is hard to restart...Any thoughts? I was thinking it has an inline fuel filter, might that be clogged?

It could be that or a dirty carb, or a spark plug.

What's the model number? If it's one of the old two-strokes you got a great find. If it's one of the newer four-strokes... not so much.

sws123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it is a model 6259, it is certainly a 2 stroke, with a orange gas tank on legs on the back of the deck.

There is a large fuel filter in the gas line (like one from a car) and when I take that off, the fuel drips out, which I'd think would be more of a rush than that.

My plan for today is to take and get a new fuel filter, but what do I do next?

Also behind the cover of the Carb, where there is usually a foam block, there is just an open space, any idea where to get the foam block.

If the carb is dirty (I guess that's the next step after the plug), any good ideas on how to clean it? or is this something I take off and send somewhere?

Thanks

Stephen

sws123

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower has a green deck and 4 wheels, steel wheels that are orange on the hubs, It has a metal handle with like rubber around where you hold it.

Again, it starts after it sits, on the first pull runs for a bit then sputters and dies.

I love how "light" it is, and it will be great to do the trimming on my hill if I can get it to run consistently. I mow my a bit over 1 acre with a 1970's wheelhorse C160, so the lawnboy iis "new" to me.

Stephen

sws123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fixed the Problem :)

Fixed the Problem with the Lawnboy, I looked at one of the videos online, and then looked under the
fueltank and saw the gas valve, it was slightly open, allowing the fuel to drip into the filter, and then
when left sit, the thing would start, and then die (when the drippings were used up), that's why I
thought it was a clogged fuel filter, since I saw the drips coming out when I disconnected the hose.

Oh well.. My pride is hurt but I did figure it out, she started on first pull, now I'm going to try to adjust
the carb to get her running smoother. I need some LB parts.

Under the tank are two metal pins that hold the tank to the base, I have one of the pins, and not the
other, it also looks like there is a screw that also holds it on the front, which I dont have that either, I just
have the one metal pin. What do you call these, and where do I go to order them?

Also, the shrowd over the mower (black piece) has some cracks in it over where the motor spins, is there
a source to get another black plastic shrowd, (new or used) that is not cracked.

Other than that I think the Mower is good to go, I do love how light it is, and that it does not scalp. I will use
it to trim around where I cant get with my Wheelhorse. :)

Let me know if the pictures uploaded, and where the best instructions are for adjusting the carb.

Attachments

• mower1.jpg
    mower1.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 30
  • mower2.jpg
    mower2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 27

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think it is a model 6259, it is certainly a 2 stroke, with a orange gas tank on legs on the back of the deck.

There is a large fuel filter in the gas line (like one from a car) and when I take that off, the fuel drips out, which I'd think would be more of a rush than that.

My plan for today is to take and get a new fuel filter, but what do I do next?

Also behind the cover of the Carb, where there is usually a foam block, there is just an open space, any idea where to get the foam block.

If the carb is dirty (I guess that's the next step after the plug), any good ideas on how to clean it? or is this something I take off and send somewhere?

Thanks

Stephen

That's a great find -- the mower is definitely worth fixing.

I'm Lawn-Boy green with envy.:laughing:

You can clean the carb by taking it off, taking it apart and blowing compressed air through all the holes.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: Fixed the Problem :)

Fixed the Problem with the Lawnboy, I looked at one of the videos online, and then looked under the
fueltank and saw the gas valve, it was slightly open, allowing the fuel to drip into the filter, and then
when left sit, the thing would start, and then die (when the drippings were used up), that's why I
thought it was a clogged fuel filter, since I saw the drips coming out when I disconnected the hose.

Oh well.. My pride is hurt but I did figure it out, she started on first pull, now I'm going to try to adjust
the carb to get her running smoother. I need some LB parts.

Under the tank are two metal pins that hold the tank to the base, I have one of the pins, and not the
other, it also looks like there is a screw that also holds it on the front, which I dont have that either, I just
have the one metal pin. What do you call these, and where do I go to order them?

Also, the shrowd over the mower (black piece) has some cracks in it over where the motor spins, is there
a source to get another black plastic shrowd, (new or used) that is not cracked.

Other than that I think the Mower is good to go, I do love how light it is, and that it does not scalp. I will use
it to trim around where I cant get with my Wheelhorse. :)

Let me know if the pictures uploaded, and where the best instructions are for adjusting the carb.

Here are a couple places to buy parts online:

PartsTree

PartsandService

The mounts for the tank are the kind of things that you can probably get online.

The plastic shroud may be expensive and/or hard to get. Would it be possible to reinforce it somehow? -- assuming you're not too concerned with cosmetics.

Adjusting the carb: I would warm up the engine and see how the mower performs under load, adjusting the jet screws to get the most power at operating speeds. Unlike four-strokes, two-stroke engines need to be tuned under load. There may be a better way to do this -- little help please, HTC.

The photos came through fine. Keep us posted on your progress.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
One more thing -- the nameplate with the model number should be on the deck under the tank. See one of HTC's photos in the first post of this thread. You need this when ordering parts.