HRX217VKA won't start

Threads
The HZA has the same autochoke design as your VKA. :rolleyes: Maybe you should go for the Toro. :tongue:

The HZA is, in my humble opinion, a nicer machine than the VKA due to the hydrostatic transmission and controls, but this is a personal preference. You may like the SmartDrive or Toro controls better.

If you do go with the HZA, the dealer should check if the serial number is in the affected range documented in the service bulletin. If it is, the dealer should then determine if there is an issue with the autochoke or not, and update the parts if needed before you take delivery.

It begs then why not just let them repair your VKA if you like it otherwise? Hard to imagine you are so desperate to get you lawn mowed you'd decline a free repair and spend more money on a new/different/untested mower just because you don't want to wait 14 days. I'll bet you could pay somebody to mow your lawn while your Honda is repaired, for less money/time/effort that it would take for you to trade in your current Honda for another mower.

Comparing auto service turn-around time to lawn mower service turn-around time is apples/oranges. I will guess the dealer is "2 weeks out" on ALL brands of mowers, including Toro.
This is ridiculous! Used it last week after dry lubricant treatment and now it won't start AGAIN.
What does Honda do for a repair? Do they replace the entire autochoke assembly or just dry lube the defective one?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is ridiculous! Used it last week after dry lubricant treatment and now it won't start AGAIN.

Dry lubricant is not the proper repair if the autochoke is defective; it must be replaced.

What does Honda do for a repair? Do they replace the entire autochoke assembly or just dry lube the defective one?

Honda dealers do not apply dry lube to fix a defective part. From what I read of your previous posting, your "independent" guy decided to do this to your mower, not a Honda dealer.

If the autochoke is found to be defective, Honda has instructed Honda dealers to replace the autochoke linkage (green) as well as the wax cylinder/piston (yellow) that closes the choke plate. For mowers with binding autochokes that are in the affected serial number range, this is done at no cost under the terms of the warranty.

autochoke_zps7baa99a6.jpg

bryson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had used my 3 times on a very small yard. The 4th time the mower would not start. Took back to dealer and service man says $51.47 and you can come pick it up. The owner called back and said there will be no charge and he will have his person check it over again. The tech said it was a gas problem and Honda does not cover that. I have a backup mower a Toro that still cranks on 1st pull and it is the same gas. I purchased 93 octane to prevent this problem but in my case it was no help. The owner was great, but I told him I am worried this will keep recurring. I love the mower but I am really worried about this problem. When I get the mower back from shop I tell you the i.d. number.

Threads
I returned mine after 13 months for a full refund. No more Hondas. Will Toro be any better? Maybe not but, Honda is disreputable. Known issues for many years and they keep using the same parts...enough said

HDL3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone know part # yellow, green, carburetor and carb gaskets thank you very much

Mower is craftsman with honda engine
GCV160LAO-S3H NH1
GJARA4582048

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyone know part # yellow, green, carburetor and carb gaskets thank you very much

Mower is craftsman with honda engine
GCV160LAO-S3H NH1
GJARA4582048

Control Assy. (green) is Honda Part Number 16600-Z8B-900
Thermowax (yellow) is Honda Part Number 16620-Z8D-305
Gasket (choke side) is Honda Part Number 16228-Z0L-840
Gasket (insulator side is Honda Part Number 16212-ZL8-000

Google any part number to find a Honda Dealer selling it online, or use this link to find a Honda Dealer in your area:
Find A Honda Dealer

HDL3000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert,
Can you give the Carburetor assembly part # ? Thank you

loco-diablo

Threads
I bought a new HRX217VKA at a local dealer back in august 2013. It ran fine for the remainder of the 2013 Massachusetts grass season. It was only when i took it out of storage in the spring of 2014 that i had the autochoke problem. It took about 10 pulls to fire it up. After some online research, i brought it to the dealer where they replaced the autochoke components (Service Bulletin 100), and it ran fine all last season after that. Zero cost repair! I was concerned it would be a occurring problem but I took it out of storage this past weekend and it fired right up! One pull!

My advice to folks that are having autochoke problems is simple. Go see the dealer. These mowers have a 5 year warranty! 6 year in some circumstances! It's a simple fix that requires some updated components. Forget the dry lube,etc.. Get it properly repaired.
The dealer will fix this under warranty for zero cost!

I hope this helps.

Last edited: