HRX217VKA won't start

Threads
Honda released the auto-choke service bulletin back in January.

When you buy a mower at Home Depot, they probably don't record the serial number anywhere in their system. The registration card that came in the document packet with the mower is typically filled out and mailed in by the new owner.
Would my S/N reveal that it was distributed thru HD? Still trying to locate that receipt or check my CC records.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would my S/N reveal that it was distributed thru HD? Still trying to locate that receipt or check my CC records.

Yes, that serial number was invoiced by Honda to Home Depot on 2/14/2013.

Please keep in mind it is just an educated guess you may be having an auto-choke issue. Until a dealer can examine and inspect the mower to confirm, it can't be said for 100% the starting problem is a factory defect or not. It could be decayed fuel, plugged jet(s), etc.

Threads
Yes, that serial number was invoiced by Honda to Home Depot on 2/14/2013.

Please keep in mind it is just an educated guess you may be having an auto-choke issue. Until a dealer can examine and inspect the mower to confirm, it can't be said for 100% the starting problem is a factory defect or not. It could be decayed fuel, plugged jet(s), etc.

I found my receipt 6/6/13 and spoke with a Honda repair shop...2 weeks turnaround. This is BS for a mower used 8-10 times.
Sadly, I'm sure Honda couldn't care less. I get better service on my Accord.
After researching, it also appears this auto choke issue goes way back and continues to plague various models.
Perhaps I'll just dump it in the driveway of the owner of HD in Old Westbury since I know where he lives.

Threads
Well, took it to my private guy, who discovered the autochoke is the problem, freezes in place. He corrected the issue with "dry" lubricant but, says it's a very poor design and shocking that Honda continues it's use BECAUSE it will likely be a recurrent problem.
I'm negotiating a trade with a dedicated mower dealer to upgrade to a 217HZA or more likely a Toro 20384.
Hondas warranty is worthless if you have to wait minimum 2 weeks for service!

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shops are busy this time of year. You cannot expect them to drop everything just to help you out. 2 weeks is not bad at all actually I've heard of people 2-3 months out. In the spring.

Patience my friend you have a fantastic mower and its a free fix so let the shop take care of you and maybe borrow a neighbors mower in a week to mow your lawn. Then you'll get your beastie back

Threads
Shops are busy this time of year. You cannot expect them to drop everything just to help you out.
No, what I EXPECT is for a Honda mower, one year old, NOT to have defective parts that require a visit to ANY shop. When buyers plunk down premium prices, they expect the best.

you have a fantastic mower
Any product used 10, 12 or 14 times per year that doesn't start ONCE is not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination. Would that ratio be acceptable if your Accord didn't start every 2-3 months?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
First off this is far from a car. And two seperate companies by the way. And the less you use your mower the more likely it is to break.

This is a factory defect and they are going to take care of you FREE and two weeks is not that long to wait to mow your lawn. The hrx is nearly top of the line and has one little problem that you don't even need to pay to fix.

Besides look at all the gm cars being recalled. People are without their car for weeks right now.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm negotiating a trade with a dedicated mower dealer to upgrade to a 217HZA or more likely a Toro 20384.

The HZA has the same autochoke design as your VKA. :rolleyes: Maybe you should go for the Toro. :tongue:

The HZA is, in my humble opinion, a nicer machine than the VKA due to the hydrostatic transmission and controls, but this is a personal preference. You may like the SmartDrive or Toro controls better.

If you do go with the HZA, the dealer should check if the serial number is in the affected range documented in the service bulletin. If it is, the dealer should then determine if there is an issue with the autochoke or not, and update the parts if needed before you take delivery.

It begs then why not just let them repair your VKA if you like it otherwise? Hard to imagine you are so desperate to get you lawn mowed you'd decline a free repair and spend more money on a new/different/untested mower just because you don't want to wait 14 days. I'll bet you could pay somebody to mow your lawn while your Honda is repaired, for less money/time/effort that it would take for you to trade in your current Honda for another mower.

Comparing auto service turn-around time to lawn mower service turn-around time is apples/oranges. I will guess the dealer is "2 weeks out" on ALL brands of mowers, including Toro.

magbarn

Threads
Well, took it to my private guy, who discovered the autochoke is the problem, freezes in place. He corrected the issue with "dry" lubricant but, says it's a very poor design and shocking that Honda continues it's use BECAUSE it will likely be a recurrent problem.

You do realize that Toro super recycler uses their 'in-house' Toro motor? So you're going to trade in your perfectly good mower with one of the best residential engines other than a bad choke defect (My HYA has the updated autochoke and it never gave me any problems at all - you just have to make sure you allow the motor to warm up before killing it to restart again) for a Toro-rebranded piece of Chinese junk motor with the worst carb. The Toro Super Recyclers that had the old-school Briggs with side valve were IMHO superior to the motors they put in the Super recyclers now.

shacky

Threads
If your forum name means what I think it means I would think you would have learned more patience than you display here.