What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?

Retiredcarguy

Threads
  • / What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?
Did a few places six months ago. Replanted the remaining few areas wouldn't help unless the soil were to be modified. Another reason to be opposed to replanting is that often the level is too high or too low. When mowing, the inequality is noteworthy.

How about digging out those "dead spots" and removing the surface soil and replacing with it a mixture of loam, peat and topsoil. Level it out and plant some seed for fall growing.

Or... use a tiller and turn in the loam and peat at all the dreaded "dead spots." Make it all a pleasant memory!

MowerMark

Threads
How about digging out those "dead spots" and removing the surface soil and replacing with it a mixture of loam, peat and topsoil. Level it out and plant some seed for fall growing.

Or... use a tiller and turn in the loam and peat at all the dreaded "dead spots." Make it all a pleasant memory!

Yes. What I do is in every small area in which the blades look thinner and yellowish, the soil is hard. I dig it up and replace it with perlite and MiracleGro Lawn Soil. Then each area gets watered and compressed to level. Then I wait for the surrounding grass to grow in. If impatient, sod gets patched in.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Yes. What I do is in every small area in which the blades look thinner and yellowish, the soil is hard. I dig it up and replace it with perlite and MiracleGro Lawn Soil. Then each area gets watered and compressed to level. Then I wait for the surrounding grass to grow in. If impatient, sod gets patched in.

Does the MiracleGro Lawn Soil work good for patching? I bought Scotts Lawn Soil, and it basically was a bag of mulch. I just use a topsoil/peat mix for patching and overseed it.

MowerMark

Threads
Does the MiracleGro Lawn Soil work good for patching? I bought Scotts Lawn Soil, and it basically was a bag of mulch. I just use a topsoil/peat mix for patching and overseed it.

Don't know as I have always used MGLS.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
The three best things that come in a bag (for a lawn):

1. Peat moss - turn in or dig it in, if you don't have compost
2. Milorganite - will never burn, to make for one healthy lawn
3. Lime - use only when needed, but it makes a world of difference

MowerMark

Threads

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Good list.

1. What happened to gypsum ?

2. How do you know when lime is needed and how much to use ?

SAMPLE READING: How To Use Lime and Gypsum Fertilizers?*at The Home Depot

Gypsum, I admit to not have any experience with it, since it is not used here in the Northeast. More for dense clay soils.

Ph test for any lime need is best by taking soil samples to your local cooperative extension or agriculture university. Call them first! Meters and test kits give an idea, though are less accurate. Yet, I do also use one. I tend to lime my front property, about every 2-3 years. Lime takes a while to react with the soil, but when it does - what a difference!!

Brownieboy

Threads
Tear is down and the build it back up. It had a good life and now it's time to rebuild. You should try a different type of grass this time. Maybe a blue grass being that i'm from kentucky it's what I would recommend.

MowerMark

Threads
That is good news. Did you ever try putting a heavy dose of lime on the yard?

I did two years ago, and posted about it here.

I put out cups in strategic locations a few weeks ago, and each cup had about 0.5" of water. Where the blades were broader and sparser, that's where the soil is compacted.

Will drill more and reapply Aquaduct® and Revive®

MowerMark

Threads
That is good news. Did you ever try putting a heavy dose of lime on the yard?

I did two years ago, and posted about it here.

I put out cups in strategic locations a few weeks ago, and each cup had about 0.5" of water. Where the blades were broader and sparser, that's where the soil is compacted.

Will drill more and reapply Aquaduct® and Revive®.

Should the pH be checked before lime is applied? Does one apply lime regularly no matter what? Does lime really work?