What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?
13 years ago 50-50 Rye/blue sod was installed. For these 13 years I had 1500 sq.ft. of the nicest lawn in the neighborhood until a year ago right after a professional aerator man punctured the lawn. I thought it would do good, but the lawn went downhill ever since.

It develop patches of yellow, mostly circular, and no consultant was certain of the diagnosis. I had a Rep from the sod company look at the areas, and he suspected fungus. I used Monterey Fungi Fighter with good improvement . Had to use it again (8 ozs./5 one gallon of water) twice.

Now there is a new problem. Irregular areas in which the grass is shorter, yellowish tips, and it doesn't grow like the surrounding areas. The yellowing shorter areas can be circular, or look look several state outlines (that is, States in the USA). A few areas have died, so I torn them out and replaced it with good soil. Of the remaining "bad" areas, it seems the soil is compacted and hard to penetrate. So I used a rod and made many punctures in the hard areas, and watered them well tonight.

Went to an irrigation store, and they did NOT have "wetting agent", those compounds which make water "wetter". In the past year in the the San Francisco Bay Area, I cannot find anyone who specializes in grass diseases and care of lawns.

There has never been any insect problems. These compacted areas just seem dry. My plan is to put out cups to make sure all areas are being watered, adjust the automatic sprinklers, and continue puncturing the hard areas.

Give the severe drought here in California, and the age of this lawn, it's tempting to rip is out and replace the area with artificial turf.

I took some pictures if it helps, but don't know how to upload them here.

Any thoughts ?

Thank you.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Lack of water may be the cause and answer. Planting a new lawn may bring the same result, considering your rainfall shortfall.

What have other property owners done in your area as an alternative to a green lawn?

Just maybe, the weather may change.

MowerMark

Threads
Lack of water may be the cause and answer. Planting a new lawn may bring the same result, considering your rainfall shortfall.

What have other property owners done in your area as an alternative to a green lawn?

No, other neighbor lawns remain intact, and I have not held back watering the lawn. Is there a person in the San Francisco Bay Area who specializes in lawn consultations ?

MowerMark

Threads

Follow-up:

I used a long handle long shaft Phillips screwdriver and penetrated the grass in various areas. The soil was very hard in most areas SURROUNDING the abnormal area. My plan is to get an electric drill and long bit and make holes in the lawn, then water well. I have a manual aerator which is like a two hold puncher but it takes quite a bit of force and the hallow core often plugs up.

Any other suggestions ?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The hallow core is supposed to plug up. Then when you push again it should push out the old core.

MowerMark

Threads
Follow-up:

I used a long handle long shaft Phillips screwdriver and penetrated the grass in various areas. The soil was very hard in most areas SURROUNDING the abnormal area. My plan is to get an electric drill and long bit and make holes in the lawn, then water well. I have a manual aerator which is like a two hold puncher but it takes quite a bit of force and the hallow core often plugs up.

Any other suggestions ?

Key word = should.

The two I own have parallel-walled tubes, and the plug sticks therein. The cutting tubes should be slightly trapezoid, larger at the top.

Yesterday I used a two foot long drill bit attached to an electric drill and made multiple holes in the lawn, then watered again. Of note is that everywhere the lawn growth was sub-normal (yellowing, sparse, and or shorter) the soil was difficult to drill. I'll bet soil compaction is the answer. Will continue drilling and watering and report back here,

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Should rent an actual core aerator. Will do a great job worth the investment. Or even hire a company to do it. Another thing is find a local university that does soil testing and get a ph test to see which kind of fertilizer to use. Then of course mow tall and mulch :)

MowerMark

Threads
Should rent an actual core aerator. Will do a great job worth the investment. Or even hire a company to do it. Another thing is find a local university that does soil testing and get a ph test to see which kind of fertilizer to use. Then of course mow tall and mulch :)

Remember, I had a "professional" aerating man come over and attack the lawn about a year, and it went downhill immediately. It has never been the same since. For over twelve years the lawn did well without aeration.

MowerMark

Threads
Wow! Pleased to report that after multiple drill holes then watering (as usual), the both lawns are 75% better. Awesome.

Buckeye10

Threads
Wow! Pleased to report that after multiple drill holes then watering (as usual), the both lawns are 75% better. Awesome.

That is good news. Did you ever try putting a heavy dose of lime on the yard?