What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / What do to about my 13 year old lawn ? Compacted soil ? Fungus ? Old age ?
That is good news. Did you ever try putting a heavy dose of lime on the yard?

No, I did not. I wanted to make just one change at a time. If the grass gets to 100% of its former self, should I sprinkle it with lime ? Will that make water "wetter" ?

Buckeye10

Threads
No, I did not. I wanted to make just one change at a time. If the grass gets to 100% of its former self, should I sprinkle it with lime ? Will that make water "wetter" ?

Lime will not hurt it at all and lime is very cheap. Here in Ohio I can get a 40 lb bag for around 6 dollars. Do you have a spreader? If so get however much you need and put a decent amount on. I do it like this, I spread it slightly heavier than I do traditional granule fertilizers because it not supposed to burn the yard. However I wont spread it if it is to dry or there is no rain predicted in the future. If you water your lawn than put it on whenever you want. I took out a row of pine trees the previous owner of my house planted right in the middle of the back yard. I never thought grass would grow. I limed the crap out of the area and the grass is deeper green than any other part of my yard.

MowerMark

Threads
Lime will not hurt it at all and lime is very cheap. Here in Ohio I can get a 40 lb bag for around 6 dollars. Do you have a spreader? If so get however much you need and put a decent amount on. I do it like this, I spread it slightly heavier than I do traditional granule fertilizers because it not supposed to burn the yard. However I wont spread it if it is to dry or there is no rain predicted in the future. If you water your lawn than put it on whenever you want. I took out a row of pine trees the previous owner of my house planted right in the middle of the back yard. I never thought grass would grow. I limed the crap out of the area and the grass is deeper green than any other part of my yard.

Yes, I have a drop spreader and found THREE large unopened bags of "Cal-Sul"®. The ingredients are listed as calcium sulfate dehydrate 86%, 21% calcium, and 16% sulfur. Yes, it strangely totals more than 100% ! Don't remember why I obtained Cal-Sul.

Is this what you suggest, or should I get something else ?

Buckeye10

Threads
Yes, I have a drop spreader and found THREE large unopened bags of "Cal-Sul"ョ. The ingredients are listed as calcium sulfate dehydrate 86%, 21% calcium, and 16% sulfur. Yes, it strangely totals more than 100% ! Don't remember why I obtained Cal-Sul.

Is this what you suggest, or should I get something else ?

I do not know anything about cal-sul but you could probably put it on at the same time as the Lime. Lime is what is going to make your soil better for growing. I am 99.99% positive you can mix add both products to your lawn at the same time. How big is your lawn?

Buckeye10

Threads
This is a photo of my grass 2 years after I removed a row of 50ft tall pine trees. I used heavy lime to get good growing soil. All the tire tracks you see are from my application of Gordan's liquid weed and feed I put on Sunday. I am going to stripe it this weekend.

Now I am not saying soil is your problem. But lime is so damn cheap its worth a try.

Attachments

• 20140626_183956.jpg
    20140626_183956.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

MowerMark

Threads
This is a photo of my grass 2 years after I removed a row of 50ft tall pine trees. I used heavy lime to get good growing soil. All the tire tracks you see are from my application of Gordan's liquid weed and feed I put on Sunday. I am going to stripe it this weekend.

Now I am not saying soil is your problem. But lime is so damn cheap its worth a try.

My lawn looks close to yours now. 500 ft2 and 1000 ft2. Sure I'll get Lime. Any certain brand or percentage ? Rate and frequency of application ?

Buckeye10

Threads
That picture is just a small portion where the trees used to be. I have around 2 acres of grass so fertilizing gets expensive and watering isnt really an option. About the lime, I honestly don't think it matters what brand you get. I get mine from Lowes which is a competitor of Home Depot. I would spread some lime then spread some of that cal-sul stuff you mentioned. Good luck. I hope the spots end up going away. Its gotta be frustrating.

Buckeye10

Threads
Mark, Check out some of these products. I found this page the other night and they have a distributor right by my brothers house. Its the same company as the stuff I used last week but this is their golf course line.

Gordon's Professional Products - Plant Nutrient Supplements

I googled golf course fertilizer and found this page. If the price is ok I am going to have my brother pick me up a jug and give it a try.

MowerMark

Threads
That picture is just a small portion where the trees used to be. I have around 2 acres of grass so fertilizing gets expensive and watering isnt really an option. About the lime, I honestly don't think it matters what brand you get. I get mine from Lowes which is a competitor of Home Depot. I would spread some lime then spread some of that cal-sul stuff you mentioned. Good luck. I hope the spots end up going away. Its gotta be frustrating.

Do you have a link (URL) to the Lime you use ? Many times manufacturers make products which produce fine particles which one is forced to inhale. Appropriate-sized solid granules work best. What does Lime accomplish ? Can too much be applied ? What are the consequences ? What improvement should be noted when using Lime ? How long will the effects persist ? When to reapply ?

Is there a wetting agent which can safely be applied to enhance water penetration ?

Buckeye10

Threads
Do you have a link (URL) to the Lime you use ? Many times manufacturers make products which produce fine particles which one is forced to inhale. Appropriate-sized solid granules work best. What does Lime accomplish ? Can too much be applied ? What are the consequences ? What improvement should be noted when using Lime ? How long will the effects persist ? When to reapply ?

Is there a wetting agent which can safely be applied to enhance water penetration ?

I know nothing about wetting agents. You mentioning it is the the 1st I ever heard of it. What exactly are they used for? Ill google lowes and see if they have a picture. The stuff I use is brown and can get a little bit dusty.