Raptor SD deck spring

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a deck that the center pulley would slip. I added I idler pulley
And sold the mower.

RaptorSD

Threads
The issue I'm having is that my center blade slips in thicker stuff. Leaving a trail of half cut yard. The left and right are cutting the same thing perfectly. The center pulley has the least amount of belt contact so it would of course slip first. This slip happens and I don't hear the engine load up at all. I know the Kawa's are good, but not that good. What use (other than for marketing) is a 23, 50, or 1000 HP engine on the back if power delivery is limited to less than what can be generated?

You sure it's not the deck folding the grass before it's cut? Take a look at the shape of the deck, the front angle directs tall stuff outward. It's not uncommon to have to go back over high grass/weeds the opposite direction, is it the pulley slipping? What blades are you using, a high lift(higher pitch than stock) leaves uncut strips on mine in tall grass.

Last edited:

Kremeneon

Threads
Slippage of the belt on the center pulley has got to be deck design/components. I have the same Kawa engine(691v) on my Gravely(except it's the FX series rather than the FR series) and I don't have that problem(and I cut through 8" windrows before installing my mulch kit). It's definitely not the Kawa engine.

I'm definitely not implying any issue with the engine at all, it is a beast!

I'm saying the mower should be able to stall the engine if pushed hard enough, not slip blades at something quite less than full torque output.

Kremeneon

Threads
You sure it's not the deck folding the grass before it's cut? Take a look at the shape of the deck, the front angle directs tall stuff outward. It's not uncommon to have to go back over high grass/weeds the opposite direction, is it the pulley slipping? What blades are you using, a high lift(higher pitch than stock) leaves uncut strips on mine in tall grass.

Folding is certainly a possibility, I'm just trying to sort it out and I don't have lab engineering instruments at home, diagnosis via elimination... My gut says it is the center pulley slipping.

I have Oregon gator g5's on it now, same thing happens with stock blades also.

RaptorSD

Threads
Folding is certainly a possibility, I'm just trying to sort it out and I don't have lab engineering instruments at home, diagnosis via elimination... My gut says it is the center pulley slipping.

I have Oregon gator g5's on it now, same thing happens with stock blades also.

Does the cut look like this? Scag Lawn Mower or Brush Mower?.dv - YouTube

Looks like the ZTR is taking an extra pass or half pass almost everywhere. My RSD will do at least that good there!

Kremeneon

Threads
I've mowed stuff at least that thick or more, RSD eats it up as well or better. Sort of hard to tell but yes, I do see some similar "chop".

Tta197

Threads
The belt is supposed to dance around when running. I'd be worried about belt wear and spindle bearings with the commercial spring installed anchor to anchor, the difference in tension from stock is not even close.

I maintain that the stock spring is perfectly fine on this mower.

I thought you said you changed your spring to the heavier Fastrack spring back in the recall thread?

Kremeneon

Threads
Wow, crickets.....

.... If the spring is to strong it will not let the idler pulley loosen the belt when under a heavy load.

The idler is on the slack side of the clutch, not the tension side, it cannot dynamically unload the belt.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, crickets..... The idler is on the slack side of the clutch, not the tension side, it cannot dynamically unload the belt.

I guess you really do not get how it all works.
When you get in heavy grass the spring is pulled on. If the spring is to strong it will hold the belt to tight

Kremeneon

Threads
I guess you really do not get how it all works.
When you get in heavy grass the spring is pulled on. If the spring is to strong it will hold the belt to tight

Please explain how load pulls the idler.