HydroGear EZT Transaxle

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm wondering if anyone on these forums has owned a ZTR with the EZT trannies and has had to have one repaired or replaced. If so, how many hours of service did the ZTR have on it, how large of yard(s) were mowed with it weekly and how much did the repair/replacement cost. Many users that are mowing 4-5 acres weekly(and in some cases mowing commercially with even heavier usage) consider buying or will buy a ZTR with the EZT because they are less expensive than those with ZT-2800, ZT-3200, ZT-3400 or ZT-5400 HydroGear trannies. My understanding is that the EZT is designed for "light homeowner" usage(< 1-2 acres weekly) and myself and other users discourage buying a ZTR with EZT's if you plan on mowing more than that. I'd be the last to recommend spending more money needlessly, so I'm hoping that this question may draw out some replies from users that have owned ZTR's with the EZT that will either support or dispute the ability of the EZT to handle heavy demand usage.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
WOW...the HydroGear EZT must be more durable than we give it credit for if nobody on these forums has ever had one fail!!!!

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
No offense intended but your question was much too long for many of the members to read and then respond.I am interested in this topic as it underscores the seemingly throw away mentality of most manufacturers.Planned obsolescence.

RetiredGuns

Threads
I've been googling for ezt problems and found a few though not as many as I thought. Most posts were older and many for some reason involve Cub Cadet mowers that had accompanying problems. What I can see is that the ezt is certainly a residential piece of hardware, heat & water is the enemy. While not meant to be owner serviceable there are plenty of folks that had great success draining and filling the trannys. I think that mating these hydros to better built mowers likely helps also. Raising 2 Teen girls has made me one heck of a driveway mechanic and I would certainly attempt a repair if out of warranty as what is there to lose? I need 350-400 hrs out of my Hustler to make it to retirement!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a buddy has a toro timecutter 42inch. A 2006 model. He is a easy 300 pounds. Has been using it cutting foreclosed homes. Hydros work as good as they did in 2006.

I have a 2007 toro 48 inch just got it a couple weeks ago. Very strong hydros pulls me up any hill.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm wondering if anyone on these forums has owned a ZTR with the EZT trannies and has had to have one repaired or replaced. If so, how many hours of service did the ZTR have on it, how large of yard(s) were mowed with it weekly and how much did the repair/replacement cost. Many users that are mowing 4-5 acres weekly(and in some cases mowing commercially with even heavier usage) consider buying or will buy a ZTR with the EZT because they are less expensive than those with ZT-2800, ZT-3200, ZT-3400 or ZT-5400 HydroGear trannies. My understanding is that the EZT is designed for "light homeowner" usage(< 1-2 acres weekly) and myself and other users discourage buying a ZTR with EZT's if you plan on mowing more than that. I'd be the last to recommend spending more money needlessly, so I'm hoping that this question may draw out some replies from users that have owned ZTR's with the EZT that will either support or dispute the ability of the EZT to handle heavy demand usage.

DJ you know how I feel about the EZT. :thumbdown: I will say there a good unit for what they were designed for and that's a real light duty application. They need to be in a mower or matched to a mower weighing like 5 to 600lbs and no more, there GVWR is like 900 lbs I believe and with 10cc pumps and motors. So if your looking for any type of performance or longevity out of the unit you wont get it with the EZT unless your mowing a nice half or three quarter acre lawn once a week.

RetiredGuns

Threads
DJ you know how I feel about the EZT. :thumbdown: I will say there a good unit for what they were designed for and that's a real light duty application. They need to be in a mower or matched to a mower weighing like 5 to 600lbs and no more, there GVWR is like 900 lbs I believe and with 10cc pumps and motors. So if your looking for any type of performance or longevity out of the unit you wont get it with the EZT unless your mowing a nice half or three quarter acre lawn once a week.

While you give the the thumbs down, I do feel better in that I mow 1/2 of flat lawn with a 501lb Raptor. I am a whopping 147lbs myself so unless I abuse the mower, it should take me into the condo years!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
While you give the the thumbs down, I do feel better in that I mow 1/2 of flat lawn with a 501lb Raptor. I am a whopping 147lbs myself so unless I abuse the mower, it should take me into the condo years!

What I learned during my intensive research in the Summer/Fall of 2012, all of the information was similar to what user Ric said(< 1 acre/weekly and < 900lbs including rider for them to last......your Raptor meets that criteria so you should be fine). Now if you were mowing 3-5 acres/weekly I would advise you to upgrade at least to the ZT-2800's. Of course, some feedback from owners that have exceeded the conditions that the EZT was designed for, with resulting failures, would help find what condition(s) the EZT simply isn't up to the task of. That's why I started this thread.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I do not know anyone that has less then 500 trouble free hours.
On their zt-2100 or zt-2200

Like I said I know a guy been cutting foreclosed homes on his cheap toro for 8 years. Running cheap EZT.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My timecutter Z480 is 7 years old and still no trouble. I got it used a few weeks ago and have used it every day. So can we call the zt-3400 junk because a lot of them have failed within 200 hours?