HRX217HYA May need new rings?

shacky

Threads
Just realized my model is a HRX217HXA not HYA

magbarn

Threads
Just realized my model is a HRX217HXA not HYA

I was thinking something was up AFAIK, the HYA revision is just came out recently. Biggest difference is the autochoke, the GCV190 is almost the same between the two mowers.

shacky

Threads
Picked up compression gauge. Only get ~ 53 reading. But doesn't the pull start open valve for easier pull starting? If that's real reading seems quite low but wondering about the pull start bleed off.

shacky

Threads
Popped off valve cover. Not same as video engine. Other than learning what to do now it looks like Honda dealer didn't bother with gasket just gooped sealant.

magbarn

Threads
The GCV160/190 normally only have sealant on the valve cover...

shacky

Threads
Thanks I feel better hearing that. Compression didn't change after 20 min so I'm thinking bad rings is horse doody. So do I need to go beyond this check?

Last edited:

magbarn

Threads
Honestly, I believe you're barking up the wrong tree. Your symptoms sound mostly carb i.e. Air/fuel mixture related. If you have good power when running full throttle, then the shop that put your new carb in either put in a suspect carb or reused gaskets and introduced an air leak. I'd just by a new carb which is really cheap and replace every single gasket between the carb and the block. The problem is that you've also taken off the cam cover off which is notorious for warping with removal. For safeties sake I would replace with a new one and get some new Hondabond to seal it to rule out another potential air leak.