Greetings - New member

toolcrib

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings from Ohio

Traded in a 30+ year old JD 318 (18Hp/54 deck - Hydro) still going strong, for a Ferris IS3100Z (36Hp/61 deck), my first zero-turn.
Noticed several issues that I could use some advice on. First most? since you do not have any
support like a steering wheel to hold on to, I have noticed that my back will start to hurt. Anyone else
dealing with this have any recommendations? I am cutting pastures, so I already go slow over the holes and such. Some areas however do get VERY wet. Second, I have noticed that if not running the engine above mid throttle while cutting average height grass the engine will seem to slow down. It will not recover much even if you slow your travel, forcing you to increase the throttle and resume cutting. My John Deere lawn tractor did not have this characteristic and took on whatever task at any RPM within reason. The manual says to run the "new" B&S engine a full throttle but not doing so on the old John Deere has served me very well. Third, any Idea of the Mfg. of the transmission oil filter p/n: 5021357 (not a cross reference please).

PS: Does this form have any relation to Green Tractor Talk - John Deere Tractor Forum

D

DSepe

Hey toolcrib greetings and welcome. Firstly are you resting you elbows on your armrests while mowing? Most people tend to tense up and death grip the controls when they switch from riding to ztr...I know I did. This causes a lot of unneeded strain. Secondly I would recommend running engine at full throttle because it ensures maximum blade speed and better cooling of the hydro pumps. Every single zero turn mower brand recommends full throttle for those reasons listed. Just control speed with the levers not the throttle and you'll be fine. Happy mowing!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your seat may also be too far back causing you to have to lean forward in the seat rather than using the seat back for support. Resting your elbows on the arm rest is also a very good idea. You should always mow at full throttle. Slowing the engine will lower blade tip speed, and causes more strain on the engine and the hydro pumps. I have never been around any ferris larger than the is2100z but hydro gear is the manufacturer of all of the hydro pumps on every ferris I have been around. I grew up on a 4000 acre cotton farm so I am very familiar with green paint lol. Have driven just about every piece of farm equipment john deere makes. Like their farm equipment, but they have fallen behind a little in the mower market. John deere mowers are a little too pricey for me and other brands will mow circles around them. They must put gold flake in that green paint. Your dealer should be able to tell you the manufacturer of the oil filter.

michiganmike

Threads
I agree with everyone's recommendation for always running the engine at full throttle.
As another thought, if you don't already have a Suspension Seat, I would recommend finding one and installing it, Zero Turns seem to ride kind of hard, harder than Garden Tractors. I bought and installed a Grammer seat on my Simplicity ZT and it rides like a dream, even with my neck arthritis and lower back problems.
Spend some time on the internet searching for "Suspension Seats" . My Grammer was technically designed for a Skid Steer. It looks like this Grammer 20 Series

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Every mower and every part on a mower is made to run at full throttle.
Running at med throttle does more harm then good.