How do I get rid of this weed?

RetiredGuns

Threads
I pull a good bit out here and there and while it fades for a spell, eradication is nowhere complete. Crappy weed killer from Lowes only watered it. I'll likely get serious towards the end of summer and try some of the recommended chemicals. While Borax is recommended in several discussions, it appears that too much boron in your soil can eventually sterilize the soil.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
I'll take a sample to my nearby cooperative extension and ask. Give me a few days, and I'll report back.

ghper

Threads
Two applications of pasture guard will take care of it. Extremely stubborn, I think mowing spreads it and it smells terrible!!! I'd google Pasture Guard and check the active ingredient the try to find a lawn care product with it in.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
My sample was identified in the below Penn State link:

Creeping Speedwell

See all of the control and eradication advice, photos, etc.

Buckeye10

Threads
I have some of that in my front yard. As I mentioned in another thread the weeds are looking unhealthy after less than 48 hrs of applying the mentioned product. The plant is bent over looking right now. I would imagine any liquid weed and feed would work. Granules wont work. I tried them on my front yard for 3 years with zero results.

BAMP

Forum Newbie
Threads
This weed is relentless. Tried stripping all area and reseeding grass.
Any chemical that may do the trick now that is summer and full-grown?
Any idea appreciated!

You are in the USA so buy Bayer All in one broadleaf weed control.It always works on what I call creeping charlie.
Put it on the lawn twice a week for a few weeks and it'll all die,and grass will live.

JEHunter

Threads
You have Creeping Charlie. At least that's what weed experts call it. If you are an advocate of "natural" lawns, you can call it Ground Ivy. Either way, it can be BAD stuff. When the soil is damp, it is easy to pull, but you should expect that about half the roots will remain; they will regrow. It will take about three years to eradicate if pulling is all you do. Most broadleaf weed control chemicals will take care of the problem BUT will kill desirable broadleaf plants, such as clover, as well; over-spray also would be a problem near flower beds. If the weed is only in turf, I suppose one option is to cultivate it but not allow it into flower beds. Then, after it takes over completely, kill it with Roundup and start over with whatever turf grass or ground cover you desire. Some gardeners like the look and allow it to take over, a practice that can be useful in heavily shaded areas. You might take a look at this web site for some ideas: Creeping Charlie makes an excellent groundcover : HGTV Gardens. Google the Latin name for the plant - Glechoma hederacea - to learn as much as possible. Eradicate the plant if you want only native plants in your yard; otherwise, you can cultivate it prudently if you like the look.

sdlandis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree, this is what I call creeping charlie. Neither 2,4-D nor Trimec have been able to knock it down for me. About three weeks ago, I sprayed my 1.5 acre yard with Bayer Advanced with crabgrass killer...took 16 bottles of the stuff.

Looks like the creeping charlie has been affected but too soon to determne if it's been killed.

mcmcclain

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think broadleaf weed control works on this stuff. Didn't on mine. I got (made by Ortho or Bonide) Chickweed, clover and oxalis killer. Lists a ton of weeds in the instructions it controls. Main ingredient for this weed and the lawn violet I also had that could never eradicate is triclopyr. Spray application follow instructions. Tip: put about 1 teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent per gallon of water. this weed control is absorbed topically and the soap helps it adhere to the leaves. Make sure no rain in the forecast for at least a couple of days.

Marcintosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I use boiling water to kill my weeds in selected areas. I recently bought a turkey fryer to boil larger amounts of water to deal with larger patches of weeds. It kills the growing weed, kills the roots and kills the seeds that might be left behind. Unfortunately, it also kills what ever grass is left there. I live near environmentally sensitive area's and I have small dogs that don't do well with poisons so, I go for the alternative.
I usually wait a few days after I apply it then, scrape all the dead material up and plant grass seeds with a tiny pinch of organic / fish fertilizer.
Gravel drive way is another story. I just nuke it with the boiling water and call it good.

Your mileage may vary but it works pretty well for me.